1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 10:47 AM by Matrix_1970

VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems

Matrix_1970 Enthusiast

Hi all,

I installed 2.0 on different VIN farm. On some there are problems, on other it seems that everything works as it should (ie, I see the applications and the dependencies between the various VM). However, within the Custom View vCenter Operations 5.7.1, in Envinronment Overview, I see no trace of this information. The adapters are collecting.

Moreover, even within the vSphere View of vCOPS do not see any information on that information collected by VIN.

Any suggestions? THX!!!

Matrix

• 1. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
          jddias Expert
          vExpertVMware Employees

Matrix,

Just to be clear, here's what you should see - in the vSphere UI you can create custom groups that use VIN discovered application services and you should see custom application groups created for any automatic application definitions you create in the vSphere web client.

Can you confirm that you can at least see the application services as selection criteria for custom groups?  Once you do this you will then see the custom group displayed in the Environment Overview map.

2013-09-09 08_16_05-vCenter Operations Manager.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
            Matrix_1970 Enthusiast

Hello,

first of all thanks for your valuable reply. The problem is that I do not see no voice among the Custom Application Groups! Also, although I understand each adapter is collecting VIN (I see Custom interface), there is no record, always under this view, tell me which services each adapter found (I am referring to the generic type line "Service on TCP .... "between the resources of vCOPS).

If it can be useful to Web Client, in the Summary, the Panel relating to 3 Major badges of vCOPS me back that you can not communicate with the server vCOPS. It may also be this a problem? If yes, what ports to open?

Thank you very much for your time!

• 3. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
              jddias Expert
              VMware EmployeesvExpert

I'm sorry but I do not understand your reply.

• 4. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                Matrix_1970 Enthusiast

Hello,

I try to be clearer. If I installed vCOPS and VIN, if everything is OK, I see:

1) under the Custom view, under Envinronment Overview, if I filter on a VIN adapter instance, I see the list of all applications found by the adapter (each entry, if I remember correctly, is a "Service on TCP etc.. Etc.." .

2) From the interface UI vCOPS, as you yourself you suggested, I would also find, under Groups voice the Application item with the list of applications defined in VIN.

In both cases, I do not see any of this. From Web Client, VIN can maps the applications found and dependencies, but then steps 1) and 2) are not satisfied.

I hope I was more clear.

Matrix

• 5. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                  jddias Expert
                  VMware EmployeesvExpert

OK, I understand now, thank you!

Have you looked at the adapter log for the VIN adapter instance?  This can be found on the analytics VM /data/vcops/log/adapters/VinAdapter

Note any errors.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                    Matrix_1970 Enthusiast

In all VIN logs I have these rows:

2013-09-09 16:31:08,074 ERROR [Collector worker thread 1] (2137) com.integrien.adapter3.vin.VinAdapter.onCollect - OnCollect failed

java.lang.RuntimeException: Check vin enabled failed

at com.integrien.adapter3.vin.InventoryServiceHandler.checkVinEnabled(InventoryServiceHandler.java:308)

at com.integrien.adapter3.vin.VinAdapter.onCollect(VinAdapter.java:150)

at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collectBase(AdapterBase.java:643)

at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collect(AdapterBase.java:456)

at com.integrien.alive.collector.CollectorWorkItem3.run(CollectorWorkItem3.java:47)

at com.integrien.alive.common.util.ThreadPool$WorkerItem.run(ThreadPool.java:239)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thank you!!!

Matrix

• 7. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                      jddias Expert
                      vExpertVMware Employees

Are you able to resolve the vCenter server host name from the analytics VM?

• 8. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                        Matrix_1970 Enthusiast

Hi jddias,

name resolution is not OK. I have mapped the name of a vCenter in the file HOSTS of Analytics VM, but for now nothig is changed.

Thank you for your patience.

Matrix

• 9. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                          jddias Expert
                          VMware EmployeesvExpert

A better way to fix that would be to adjust the IP Pool configuration to include the DNS server(s) in your environment and then restart the vApp - that way both VMs in the appliance are fixed and you don't need to worry about editing host files.

• 10. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                            Matrix_1970 Enthusiast

Thanks, I will do so even if you do not think will be resolved in this way, as the name resolution works now, but the problem highlighted in the logs of VIN has remained the same.

If anything, you were some other helpful suggestions, let me know.

Thank you again.

• 11. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                              Mauritz84 Novice

Hi Matrix,

I'm having the same issues you've been having with the integration between vC Ops and VIN. I'm on vC Ops 5.8 and VIN 5.8. I seem to get the same ERROR messages in the log file as you had.

Did you ever solve this issue or got anywhere closer to it?

/data/vcops/log/adapters/VinAdapter/VinAdapter_5282.log

2014-02-13 12:08:43,590 ERROR [Collector worker thread 1] (5282) com.integrien.adapter3.vin.VinAdapter.onCollect - OnCollect failed

java.lang.RuntimeException: Check vin enabled failed

at com.integrien.adapter3.vin.InventoryServiceHandler.checkVinEnabled(InventoryServiceHandler.java:308)

at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collectBase(AdapterBase.java:644)

at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collect(AdapterBase.java:457)

at com.integrien.alive.collector.CollectorWorkItem3.run(CollectorWorkItem3.java:47)

at com.integrien.alive.common.util.ThreadPool$WorkerItem.run(ThreadPool.java:239)

/data/vcops/log/collector.log

2014-02-13 15:08:44,151 ERROR [Collector worker thread 12] com.integrien.adapter3.vin.InventoryServiceHandler.inventoryServiceLogin - SessionManager login failed

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.vmware.vim.binding.vmodl.fault.SystemError:

reason = Invalid fault

inherited from com.vmware.vim.binding.vmodl.fault.SystemError: vim.fault.HttpFault

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.impl.BlockingFuture.get(BlockingFuture.java:70)

at com.vmware.vim.clientutil.InventoryClientUtil.acquireSessionTicket(InventoryClientUtil.java:124)

at com.vmware.vim.clientutil.InventoryClientUtil.getAuthDataForDataService(InventoryClientUtil.java:92)

at com.integrien.adapter3.vin.InventoryServiceHandler.inventoryServiceLogin(InventoryServiceHandler.java:240)

at com.integrien.adapter3.vin.InventoryServiceHandler.checkVinEnabled(InventoryServiceHandler.java:292)

at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collectBase(AdapterBase.java:644)

at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collect(AdapterBase.java:457)

Caused by: com.vmware.vim.binding.vmodl.fault.SystemError:

reason = Invalid fault

inherited from com.vmware.vim.binding.vmodl.fault.SystemError: vim.fault.HttpFault

at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor291.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.types.impl.ComplexTypeImpl.newInstance(ComplexTypeImpl.java:171)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.types.impl.DefaultDataObjectFactory.newDataObject(DefaultDataObjectFactory.java:26)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.unmarshaller.ComplexStackContext.<init>(ComplexStackContext.java:33)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl$UnmarshallSoapFaultContext.parse(UnmarshallerImpl.java:135)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl$UnmarshallSoapFaultContext.unmarshall(UnmarshallerImpl.java:98)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl.unmarshalSoapFault(UnmarshallerImpl.java:84)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.impl.SoapFaultStackContext.setValue(SoapFaultStackContext.java:37)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.impl.ResponseUnmarshaller.unmarshal(ResponseUnmarshaller.java:107)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.impl.ResponseImpl.unmarshalResponse(ResponseImpl.java:245)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.impl.ResponseImpl.setResponse(ResponseImpl.java:203)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.http.impl.HttpExchange.run(HttpExchange.java:126)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.http.impl.HttpProtocolBindingImpl.send(HttpProtocolBindingImpl.java:98)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.impl.MethodInvocationHandlerImpl$CallExecutor.sendCall(MethodInvocationHandlerImpl.java:545)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.impl.MethodInvocationHandlerImpl$CallExecutor.executeCall(MethodInvocationHandlerImpl.java:526)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.impl.MethodInvocationHandlerImpl.completeCall(MethodInvocationHandlerImpl.java:314)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.impl.MethodInvocationHandlerImpl.invokeOperation(MethodInvocationHandlerImpl.java:284)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.impl.MethodInvocationHandlerImpl.invoke(MethodInvocationHandlerImpl.java:169)

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy82.acquireSessionTicket(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.clientutil.InventoryClientUtil.acquireSessionTicket(InventoryClientUtil.java:123)

... 11 more

Thank you,

Erik Alm

• 12. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                                Matrix_1970 Enthusiast

Hi,

I have resolved my issue opening port 10443 (TCP) from end vs vCOPS UI and Analytics <-> vCenter on firewall.

I hope it helps!

Matrix

I have believed to update the forum... Sorry!

• 13. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                                  Mauritz84 Novice

Just to clarify, Open 10443 (vCenter Inventory service port) on both UI and Analytics VM inbound? Or what do you mean?

If I get this to work I'll only be very happy!

Erik

• 14. Re: VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems
                                    Matrix_1970 Enthusiast

The traffic must be bidirectional between vcops and vcenter on 10443 port.

Il giorno 13/feb/2014 15:49, "Mauritz84" <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>> ha scritto:

VMware Communities<https://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

VIN 2.0: Integration with vCOPS problems

created by Mauritz84<https://communities.vmware.com/people/Mauritz84> in VMware vCenter Infrastructure Navigator - View the full discussion<https://communities.vmware.com/message/2345546#2345546>

1 2 Previous Next