VMware Cloud Community
woodycollins
Contributor
Contributor

VM CPU and or Memory Stress Alerts

After upgrading our vCOPs to the most recent version we are now seeing a large number of alerts on CPU or Memory stress and I was curious what exactly this is and how to resolve it?  I review the VM's undersize / oversize and projection charts and from what I can see there may have been a single day that the stress occurred (or very few hours in that day) but the remainder of the time the VM's are showing over sized.  This behavior is very common in our environment were a VM sits fairly idle or does very little work till and end of cycle occurs and then the VM works a lot.  So far with the behavior our environment has I am having trouble really keeping our management happy with the product when they see that the product offers reports that both show a VM is stressed yet over provisioned and was curious if there is any recommendation on more of a fine tuning type procedures for the product?

Attached is an example of the undersize/oversize type charts we commonly see.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to adjusted the stress calculations on your configuration policy. You should also examine the oversized VMs policy.

Set the stress calculation to be appropriate given the workload type. If it showing false positive, adjust the demand %s, adjust % time, and set an appropriate period for the workload.

On the oversized VMs, you can drop the lower boundaries on the % utlizations and increase the % of entire range to make the recommendations more conservative.

Also allow the policy to have stress account for spikes and peaks.

Between those things you should see VMs no longer be considered "stressed" and also "oversized".

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
IgorAbzalov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi. I have same problem with my vSphere cluster. In vCOPS i see many oversized VMs and shrink vCPU and vRAM after it. When i upgrade to vROPS 6.0.1 i see Stressed VMs report, it show most of all previous "oversized" VM's as stressed. Report show that i have to increase now vCPU to 3 and more from 1. Please help me find, how to see current policy in vROPS and how to change it.

0 Kudos