VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Upgrade 3.5 to ESXI 5.0

Yes I know 3.5 is ancient.. for this reason we are finally migrating some old servers.. We have some 3.5 that managed to run all this time remarkably.. We are now upgrading all servers to 5.0.

I tried upgrade manager, but it fails.. no direct path to 5.0 from 3.0 apparently and ESX console versions have been discontinued.

I know from previous experience it *WAS* possible to upgrade from 3.5 to 4.0 or 4.1 ESX, but I cannot find the downloads anymore, and even now you can only get an upgrade from ESXi 3.5 to ESXi 4.0 but that will not help me..

How do we upgrade from 3.5 to 5.0?  Has anyone done it?

Even if I have to install 4.1 in the interim (which from the VMware information that is what we need to do) but I can't find ESX 4.0 versions that will upgrade from 3.5.  I prefer to install direct on the console version and upgrade command line if possible.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It is not possible to upgrade directly from 3.5 to 5.0, you have to do an upgrade to 4.x and then 5.0, But unfortunately 4.x has reached the End of Availability and End of Support Life as of August 15th -2013 Ref : link

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2039567

Since its reached the End of Availability you will not be able to find any downloads for it.

Hence the only option left is to Install the ESXi 5.0 as a Fresh install and you cannot upgrade.

0 Kudos