VMware Cloud Community
Intmin1
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter server P2V

Hi all,

We are upgrading our vSphere from 4.1 to 5.1.

We are getting an outside company to do the actual upgrade, but need to P2V the vCenter server. We want to make a virtual server of the vCenter server but not have it running as the vCenter server immediately, just need a stable virtual version of the vCenter server until the outside company can do the upgrade (which is scheduled to be done in 4 weeks). I found another plan on here  but have tweaked to our needs.

• Verify good full backup of vCenter Server
  • Ensure there are no current migrations
  • Verify good full backup of SQL
  • Maintenance mode target ESX host and wait for all VM’s to DRS to another host
  • Disconnect ESX host from vCenter
  • Remove ESX host from vCenter
  • Stop all vCenter and SQL Services on physical vCenter server
  • Run P2V converter
  • Check if stable with NIC disabled

Is there any issues with this plan? Anything else we need to be aware of?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds good but why are you removing the targeted ESXi host from the vCenter environment?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Intmin1
Contributor
Contributor

Like I said it was a plan from elsewhere and adapted to our needs. If removing the ESXi host is not needed then I will remove that from the plan.

Updated plan:

• Verify good full backup of vCenter Server
  • Ensure there are no current migrations
  • Verify good full backup of SQL
  • Maintenance mode target ESX host and wait for all VM’s to DRS to another host
  • Disconnect ESX host from vCenter
  • Stop all vCenter and SQL Services on physical vCenter server
  • Run P2V converter
  • Check if stable with NIC disabled

Any other issues?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That will do it -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos