Why you cannot use SSH? for your information, ssh is not enable by default. You need to use your DCUI interface and enable SSH or ESXi Shell interface. On both you will have command line available.
With the NIC card not working yet I do not have IP connectivity thus SSH from any external device will not work. Is there a way to get to a console and SSH from inside the server?
You can enable the ESXi local shell through the DCUI Interface.
Use the direct console user interface to enable the ESXi Shell:
- From the Direct Console User Interface, press F2 to access the System Customization menu.
- Select Troubleshooting Options and press Enter.
- From the Troubleshooting Mode Options menu, select Enable ESXi Shell.
Enable ESXi Shell
- Press Enter to enable the service.
Then prompt ALT+ F1
I have a supermicro X7DB8 and had the same issue with esxi5.0/5.1, as you had: no network connection although it shows both connections live and working. I just tried again today with 5.5 and it didn't work again ... at first. I did two things and now it's working - so i can't tell you which fixed it (yet). Here's what i did:
1. Built a custom iso (i needed to add a driver that wasn't in stock build for my raid card)
2. Only plugged one network interface into the same switch. I plugged the other interface into another separate switch after the first was working (on another vlan for now as well)
I loaded 5.5 and connected both interfaces to separate switches, no joy. Must be the custom iso you did. Can I get more details.