VMware Communities
xuefer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"bridge" failed to capture packets that being routing from/to "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter"

host: Windows 7 64

guest: gentoo 64bit

vmware 9.0.2

*settings*

i have working wifi adapter and set it to hostednetwork

netsh wlan set hostednetwork ssid=test key=test mode=allow

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

a new adapter "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter"  appears and it works fine for wifi client to connect/auth/ping the host

i set this adapter to 192.168.8.3/24, gateway 192.168.8.1

created a vmware linux, bridge on the virtual wifi adapter, with ip 192.168.8.1/24

192.168.8.1 and 192.168.8.3 can ping each other, tcpdump also hows the icmp

*problem*

however when i ping any other ip not in this subnet, i cannot capture it from the guest side

it's strange that, i can sniff icmp echo request but no reply using windump on virtual wifi adapter, but i no packet is sniffed on the guest side in this case (looked good when 192.168.8.1 and 192.168.8.3 ping each other)

firewall is turned off on both host and guest os

with exactly same config but use a real or vm adapter or even real wifi adapter instead of the virtual wifi one, the routed packets go into guest side

*guess*

vmware bridge failed to capture any packet that is going to the gateway (while windump can)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mars34
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ;

I know it has been a long time for this thread but did you manage to figure out something about the issue?

I have a similar requirement for a  test setup,no internet required,just bridge wifi miniport  to centos guest that have the dhcp server for the wifi end user.

In my case wifi user gets IP,default GW from DHCP, can ping gw(centos),but can not ping  loopback IPs on the centos(that means an IP from different subnets).

Packets are seen on wifi miniport(wireshark),but can not see anything on centos(tcpdump).

It seems wifi miniport can not route packet to the gw in this case.

Anybody have any idea,what I am missing?

BR

0 Kudos