VMware Cloud Community
Awanogardn
Contributor
Contributor

Converter Hangs at 1%

I've got a machine that I've been tasked to virtualize, but I never get any farther than 1%, which is wierd because a collegue of mine P2Ved this server a couple months ago and it went through. (we had to delete that VM because it wasn't brought online in time.)

The conversion doesn't fail, it just stays at 1%.

Server is a Windows Server 2003 R2 box and it's main role is Raisers Edge. I turned off all the SQL services per another post. I'm not quite sure what else to include, other than the logs.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: Awanogardn Scrubbed the logs.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

According to the log, this might be a miscommunication between converter server and worker services. Restart them and try again. They are named "VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Server" and "VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Worker".

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
Awanogardn
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply patanassov. I have restarted both services Doing so canceled out the convert job.

However, it doesn't seem to be doing anything right now, It's been a couple hours since I started the second job and I'm still idling at 1%.

I will still wait and see.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Oops! Sorry, I should have warned you about the conversion.

I was looking at:
2013-07-31T11:24:08.246-04:00 [05160 error 'Ufa.HTTPService'] Failed to read request; stream: <io_obj p:0x0271cd94, h:-1, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-worker-soap'>, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-worker-soap'>>, error: class Vmacore::TimeoutException(Operation timed out)

in the logs. However a little before there is:
2013-07-31T11:10:24.304-04:00 [05632 info 'task-2'] VolumeBasedCloneTask::CollectVolumeIdsToSnapshot: we will try to snapshot volume \WindowsBitmapDriverVolumeId=[CF-B1-96-4E-00-FC-10-F0-02-00-00-00]

a then 13 minutes nothing logged.This is a 12GB disk and shouldn't take so long to snapshot. Snapshot is being taken using Windows VSS service. I don't know what has happened with it. Can you afford to restart the machine and try again? Cancel the job and save your work in any other applications before doing so.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Awanogardn
Contributor
Contributor

So I managed to get above 1% and complete the conversion; it took 36 hours.

I followed this guide to fix the VSS issues:

http://ituncovered.com/?p=19

I also made batch files just incase of future issues with other servers. Thanks again.

0 Kudos