VMware Cloud Community
SimN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare converter standalone fails at 1%.

Hello,

I am having problem converting some machines from one subnet to another. Since I am working in university, here is quite complex network infrastructure. Every time I need a port open, I have to register a call and wait for few days for it to be solved.

I have:

ESXi 5.1 on subnet A

PC which is on subnet A and is able to connect to subnet B through port 80, 445, 9089.

Some servers that are going to be migrated located in subnet B.

Now when I try to set a task with wmware converter standalone installed on PC to clone a physical host(win 2k3) from subnet B I get the failed status with error message: An error occurred during the conversion: 'Unknown exception'.

I found on this forum similar problem(P2V conversion fails at 1% , "An error occured during the conversion"Unknown exeption"") and rechecked my logs.

2013-08-01T11:11:06.719+02:00 [02020 warning 'Default'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Failed to connect to server 1.2.3.4:902 (this is the IP of ESXi server)

2013-08-01T11:11:06.719+02:00 [02020 info 'Default'] [,0] Sysimgbase_DiskLib_OpenWithPassPhrase failed with 'NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT' (error code:2338)

2013-08-01T11:11:06.719+02:00 [02020 info 'Default'] [,0] Error 2338 opening disk ha-nfcssl://[ESXi_storage] servername/servername.vmdk@1.2.3.4:902!52 14 82 92 62 f1 db ec-a3 c4 4a 72 fd da b5 ac.

the problem is kind of clear to me. Source machine is trying to connect directly to ESXi server and it's storage. But for me to register a "port opening" call for every server I want to convert is a bit inconvenient to say the least and I was wondering is it possible somehow to do migration through PC in A subnet which has access to powered on source machines and ESXi server. And those machines would not need to directly contact the ESXi server?

Thanks for your answers.

S.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

You could convert to Workstation format and then convert again the resulting VM to ESX. If you have a machine with enough storage in subnet B, convert to it, then physically move the machine or just the storage to subnet A and convert again. Thus you can bypass the firewall completely.

HTH

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

You could convert to Workstation format and then convert again the resulting VM to ESX. If you have a machine with enough storage in subnet B, convert to it, then physically move the machine or just the storage to subnet A and convert again. Thus you can bypass the firewall completely.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
SimN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brilliant, this is what I need,

Thank you for your answer!

S.

0 Kudos