VMware Cloud Community
apgmbh
Contributor
Contributor

Install vcenter server 5.1u1 on windows server 2012 essentials

Hi,

we are trying to install vcenter server 5.1u1 on windows server 2012 essentials, but the installer tells us that our os is not supported.

Has someone an idea how we can solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Can you post some logs file generate during install or setup execution.

thank you.

Regards,

Julien

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

the issue you are most likely facing is that WS2012 Essentials acts as a domain controller by default, and  installing vCenter Server on a domain controller is not supported. What you may consider - unless you want to spend money for another Windows Server license - is to use the vCenter Server Appliance - which is a pre-configured Linux appliance - instead. With its embedded database, the appliance is currently supported for up to 5 hosts and up to 50 VMs.

André

apgmbh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

sorry for my late response. I was not in the office.

Right now we are using the linux appliance, but it lacks some features (e. g. the Update Manager). And we want to integrate our new backup solution (acronis vmprotect).

If i am right, the only problem is the "single sign on service".

Does someone know a trick to install it?

Thanks for you your help.

Regards,

Axel

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

SSO comes along with the appliance. You can login with the admin@system-domain into your vsphere web client and configure your SSO

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
apgmbh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

sorry for my ambiguous statement.

I think that the online service which has problmes with windows server 2012 essentials is the SSO. But the inventory server and vcenter server depends on it, so i have to install the sso service.

The installation of the sso immediatly stops with "SSO is not supported on this platform".

Maybe there is a trick to install it anyway?

Regards,

Axel

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Right now we are using the linux appliance, but it lacks some features (e. g. the Update Manager). And we want to integrate our new backup solution (acronis vmprotect).

You are certainly correct and Update Manager isn't available with the appliance. However, with a small environment (which I assume you have), patching the hosts can be done with a single command from the host's command line. And regarding the frequency/availability of new patches that shouldn't really be a show stopper.

I can't tell you whether Acronis supports the vCenter Server appliance, but I'm pretty sure it does.

André

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Even SSO cannot be installed on a DC

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
apgmbh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

we are going to use the linux appliance.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

Axel

0 Kudos