VMware Communities
iolalog
Contributor
Contributor

"The MSI 'C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_1372412506\vmwareplayer_x64.msi' failed." - Workaround

Hi folks

I have been strugling to install VMWare Player for a while now, and finally found a workaround that did the trick for me. As I haven't seen this solution online, I thought I'd post it here to help others.

20130628_VMWare_error_v2.png

Facts

VMWare Player version(s): VMware-player-5.0.1-894247.exe and VMware-player-5.0.2-1031769.exe

Windows version: Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit SP1

Encryption: Yes, Bitdefender active.

What didn't work

I tested various suggestions listed here and in the KB:

1. Redownload, control checksum, all was well.
  2. "Run as administrator", no change.
  3. Clear TEMP folder, no change.
  4. Turn off UAC settings, no change.

In summary I tested many of the solutions listed in these places with no luck:

VMware KB: Troubleshooting an MSI error during a VMware product or Tools installation

You receive an &quot;error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation&quot; error message whe...

Installation VMwareplayer impossible

VMWare Player fails to install on Win7 x64 Home Premium

What did work

I noticed that the VMWare files were extracted to a TEMP folder before installation failed, but were removed when it failed (standard rollback procedure I guess). Did as follows:

• Started the installation, made choices like folder etc., but did not proceed when I got to the "Continue" button that will start the installation (and generate the error)
  • Navigated to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp" folder, and copied the temp folder that was now present there (it is removed once you get the error message) to another folder (it is called
    "vmware_XXXXXXXXXX", where the XXXXXXXXXX is a unique number each time it seems).
  • Clicked "Continue" and let the installation fail.
  • Went to the folder I had copied ("vmware_1372416285" in my case).
  • Double clicked "vmwareplayer_x64.msi", and it installed fine! Smiley Happy
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
EdwardsL
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you man it worked you are damn good

0 Kudos
Laionart79
Contributor
Contributor

It did work, but not exactly the way you wrote:

• Started the installation, made choices like folder etc., but did not proceed when I got to the "Continue" button -> the same
  • Navigated to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp" folder, and copied the temp folder that was now present there (it is removed once you get the error message) to another folder (it is called
    "vmware_XXXXXXXXXX", where the XXXXXXXXXX is a unique number each time it seems). -> the same
  • Clicked "Continue" and ... installation worked correctly

Very good, anyway Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
filbert42
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue and tried your method. I found I had to start from the command line and add the parameter: EULAS_AGREED=1

However, it then failed with "Failed to install the hcmon driver"

I did try running the command line as administrator.

UPDATE: I did a bit of googling and found a suggestion that .net might be a problem. I did repair on .net 4.5 (the versoin installed), rebooted and repeated the command line method and it worked.. It might have been that a reboot would have been enough.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
durga5
Contributor
Contributor

I have windows 8 and tried to install VMware-player-6.0.7 and got .msi file failed error initially..

I have fixed this using your suggested steps with few additional fixes as follows:

1.Started the installation, but did not proceed when I got to the "Continue" button that will start the installation,copied the C:\Temp\vmware_xxxxxxxxxx(xxx..unique number) file to some other location

and allowed to fail.

2.Copied the vmware_xxxxxxxxxx saved file to C:\Temp folder, double-click on vmwareplayer_x64.msi to install.

It gave another error : “The user did not accept the license agreement by passing EULAS_AGREED=1 on the command line.”

3.To resolve EULAS_AGREED=1 error  have executed the following command :

C:\Temp\vmware_xxxxxxxxxx>vmwareplayer_x64.msi  EULAS_AGREED=1

Again it gave another error "Fails to install - HCMON Driver" and did not find any Non-Plug and Play Drivers in device manager to uninstall the HCMON Driver.

4.uninstalled the avast antivirus and restarted the system.

5.Repeated the step 3 and got successfully installed.

0 Kudos