VMware Communities
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

3D Acceleration for OS X clients

Yesterday I created an OS X Mavericks DP1 virtual machine from scratch in Fusion 5.0.3. No problem installing VMware Tools. I wanted to test Apple Maps, but it didn't work. After discovering 3D Acceleration was off, I shut down the virtual machine and turned 3D Acceleration on. The only noticeable effect of the new setting was the presence of a message saying 3D Acceleration, now on, was disabled for the OS X client. Am I missing something here? Is this a known problem of all OS X clients? Only of Mavericks? Are there any known workarounds? Is a Fusion beta under works that might solve the issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion does not support 3D Accelerated graphics in OS X Virtual Machines.  Have a look at: Creating an OS X Server Virtual Machine in VMware Fusion

View solution in original post

3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion does not support 3D Accelerated graphics in OS X Virtual Machines.  Have a look at: Creating an OS X Server Virtual Machine in VMware Fusion

BobFillmore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This issue still exists in Fusion 6 and Mavericks.  Please consider implementing OpenGL support soon.

VMWare Fusion with Mac OS guest is a very useful tool for developers....

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No virtualization solution provides 3d acceleration for OSX guests (any OS version).  I know it's on the list as a highly desired capability, but it's also much much more complicated than providing it for windows because of the architecture.

Best option for 3d is dual boot at the moment, unfortunately.

0 Kudos