VMware Cloud Community
MLITech
Contributor
Contributor

Installer Stuck at EULA

In order to prepare for a SAN installation so we need to have an ESXi installation ready so that it can have the Service Processor loaded on it (so we can get the SAN configured so we can get it hooked up to the blade servers so we can install ESXi on the blades).  So here I am, attempting to get ESXi 5.1 installed on our last remaining spare server (it's a Gen6 HP DL160).  The installer loads fine, but when I get to the EULA I can't hit F11 to proceed.  Escape doesn't work either.  I've tried 4 different keyboards at this point, all 4 USB ports on the server, an ESXi 5.0 disc as well, and so far I haven't been able to progress past this point.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

did you already try to update the host to the latest available firmware to rule this out as a possible issue?

André

0 Kudos
MLITech
Contributor
Contributor

Just flashed the bios to the latest version, and no change.  It'll recognize the Escape key now, but still nothing with F11, or any Function key for that matter.  Escape brings up the box asking if you want to cancel the installation, and both F8 and F11 don't work in that one.  I've verified that the Function keys work on the keyboard on another machine, and in the bios on the server in question.

0 Kudos
MLITech
Contributor
Contributor

I went into the office yesterday and instead of gave up on fighting with the F11 key.  Scripted the install instead, and that worked fine, aside from it installing to the USB stick the ks.conf file was on.  But this is just a temporary installation, so a large sticker saying "DO NOT REMOVE" will do until we can migrate the storage processor VM into the new chassis next week.

0 Kudos
AdnanLaswed
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same prb, tell me how did u fix it ?

0 Kudos
MLITech
Contributor
Contributor

Originally I just scripted the install using these instructions: VMware KB: Deploying ESXi 5.x using the Scripted Install feature

Later on I found that using HP's Custom ESXi images solve the problem: HP and VMware’s infrastructure as a service solution | HP® Official Site

0 Kudos
RaheelShami
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any permanent fix available for this issue, instead of scripted installer.

0 Kudos
Mahmoud_Sharaf
Contributor
Contributor

Try the fn key + f11

0 Kudos