VMware Cloud Community
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SRM licensing ?

I am about to install SRM 5.02 in our environment.  We have two sites one Production and one for DR.

We would like to have the ability to fail back after a disaster (Reprotect?).

It appears to do this I will need to go to Vcenter linked mode.

While I'm not adverse to going to linked mode I want to upgrade to Vcenter 5.1 before doing so.

So the question is can I install SRM 5.02 in unidirectional mode now and convert to bidirectional mode at a later date after the Vcenter servers are converted to linked mode?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not believe you need the two vCenter servers in linked mode to install and implement SRM in either unidirectional or bidrestional mode -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't have sufficient licenses to license both sites so I'd want the license to follow a vm that is recovered.

My understanding from what I've read is that linked mode is required to share the licenses between sites.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Pdrace,

You dont need vCenter server to be in link mode to work with SRM, however  you need license for vCenter server on both the sites to work SRM. You need SRM license on single site, but you have to apply on both the sites.

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You do need SRM licenses for both sites if you want to protect both sites - to protect a single site you will need a single license - as the other poster indicated your will need to license vCenter for both sites

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have licensing for Vcenter and the hosts in the DR site

I don't really want to protect both sites. I just want to be able to fail vms back to the protected site after a disaster.

I guess I can install in bidirectional mode and just not assign licenses to the DR site.

According to what I've read the license will follow a vm once the Vcenter sites are put in linked mode.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You still need license for vCenter on both sites. Even if you dont want to Bi-directional replication.  For SRM license you need one site, but you apply same SRM license on both sites.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
FrankZo
Contributor
Contributor

You need to have a vCenter license for each site. And you need a license per vm. When you recover a VM from site A to site B, the license travels with the VM.

0 Kudos
stuartclements
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can see the documentation for the SRM licensing requirements at SRM Licensing

I hope this helps, but if anything needs clarifying, please let me know.

Thanks!

Stuart

SRM documentation

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You should split the licenses through the MyVMware portal. Just carve the single licensing into 2 appropriate sized ones for each site and apply the new key. If you do failover a VM, the license from the source side will stay with the VM allowing it to be failed back.

0 Kudos