13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 3:47 PM by bhaverkamp

How to disable debug info gathering

bhaverkamp Novice
    VMware Employees

On VM power on I get a dialog telling me debug info gathering is turned on and to run this off in advanced options for the VM. I can find no such option.

• 1. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
          sunyj Enthusiast
          VMware Employees

Hi buddy,

I tried the method here. However it does NOT work. Disabling Debug Mode In VMWare Workstation Beta

I got some other message here. The idea is that "With the beta its fixed on... because its beta". http://communities.vmware.com/thread/22815

So welcome to try Workstation GA build to lower down the debug level.

• 2. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
            WoodyZ Guru

The VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2013 is hard coded to run in Debug Mode as noted by two things in the vmware.log file...

The first being the very first line in the vmware.log file shows "option=BETA" as shown in the line below.

Log for VMware Workstation pid=2336 version=e.x.p build=build-1140354 option=BETA

The second is the "Command line:" and is is as shown in the line below.

Command line: "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe"

Now normally in a GA Release the first line in the vmware.log file would have the "option=" show as "option=release".

Additionally the "Command line:" would be: "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe".

So if you really want to run the VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2013 in a default GA Release Mode (no debugging) then this is what one can do, although this defeats the purpose of being able to provide proper feedback to VMware when submitting log files when there are issues that need to be addressed.

Simply rename the existing vmware-remotemks-debug.exe and vmware-vmx-debug.exe files adding as an example "-original" to the name and then copy the vmware-remotemks.exe and vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-remotemks-debug.exe and vmware-vmx-debug.exe.

Now when you start the VM the first line of the vmware.log file will so "option=release" as in the line below.

Log for VMware Workstation pid=2336 version=e.x.p build=build-1140354 option=release

Obviously the "Command line:" will show "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe" however the vmware-vmx-debug.exe is actually the renamed vmware-vmx.exe file and you will not be prompted with the DEBUG message!

Note: On 64-bit Windows the path to the executable will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\..".

So it is possible to run the VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2013 without debugging enable however again this usurps the purpose of participating in the beta program.

• 3. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
              bhaverkamp Novice
              VMware Employees

Thanks Woody.

Yes, I know that debug info is valuable but I think I would rather turn on the debug feature after I run into a problem. It is very much slower. I figure I am still testing out other aspects of the release and if I see an issue I can try with debugging enabled. Otherwise I was actually wanting to revert to WS9.

--bernie

• 4. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                bhaverkamp Novice
                VMware Employees

Ok, it did not work for me. I did the renames as you suggested. ls output below:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation>ls -l vmware-*

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0           88144 May 16 16:51 vmware-authd.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0        14937680 May 16 17:09 vmware-hostd.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0         5108816 May 16 17:41 vmware-remotemks-debug-original.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0         4818512 Jun 04 10:41 vmware-remotemks-debug.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0         4818512 May 16 17:41 vmware-remotemks-original.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0           83536 May 16 17:41 vmware-shell-ext-thunker.exe

-rw-rw-rw-   1 0        0           43600 May 16 17:41 vmware-tray-helper.dll

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0          105040 May 16 17:41 vmware-tray.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0          190544 May 16 17:41 vmware-unity-helper.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0         1478224 May 16 16:43 vmware-vdiskmanager.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0        22429776 May 16 17:41 vmware-vmx-debug-original.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0        17855568 Jun 04 10:39 vmware-vmx-debug.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0        17855568 May 16 17:41 vmware-vmx-original.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0        20473936 May 16 17:41 vmware-vmx-stats.exe

-rwxrwxrwx   1 0        0          567888 May 16 17:41 vmware-vprobe.exe

Still see option=BETA in my vmware.log and speed seems unchanged.

I am also seeing lots of these messages:

2013-06-04T10:42:57.555-07:00| vcpu-1| I120: serial0: Failed to enforce the noRxLoss option: an overrun occurred while the virtual UART was in loopback mode.

2013-06-04T10:42:57.555-07:00| vcpu-1| I120: serial0: Overrun

Could these be what's slowing me down?

• 5. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                  bhaverkamp Novice
                  VMware Employees

Just noticed that the image running is from x64 subdirectory. Renaming those now.

• 6. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                    dariusd Virtuoso
                    VMware EmployeesUser Moderators

Hi Bernie!

bhaverkamp wrote:

[...] I think I would rather turn on the debug feature after I run into a problem.

In making your decision about disabling debug mode, please keep in mind that debug mode will itself catch a lot of erroneous conditions which wouldn't otherwise cause a problem or be evident to the user at all.  To be honest, disabling debug mode will make it quite a bit less likely that you'll encounter problems with the Tech Preview, but those would have been just the sort of problems we are hoping to bring to light through the Tech Preview program.

We'll still appreciate any feedback we get from all Tech Preview users, regardless of whether debugging is enabled, but those with debugging enabled all the time are very significantly more likely to be able to provide the most important and relevant forms of feedback.

That said, I do understand that your VMs do need to be usable too...

Thanks,

--

Darius

• 7. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                      WoodyZ Guru

Why are you renaming the original vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-original.exe?  I did not say to do that!

• 8. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                        bhaverkamp Novice
                        VMware Employees

Running in release mode now but still getting these UART overruns. I suspect this is my performance issue and it has nothing to do with debug collection.

2013-06-04T11:05:58.143-07:00| vcpu-0| I120: serial0: Failed to enforce the noRxLoss option: an overrun occurred while the virtual UART was in loopback mode.

2013-06-04T11:05:58.143-07:00| vcpu-0| I120: serial0: Overrun

2013-06-04T11:05:58.143-07:00| vcpu-0| I120: serial0: Failed to enforce the noRxLoss option: an overrun occurred while the virtual UART was in loopback mode.

• 9. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                          WoodyZ Guru

Hey Darius,

That's why while providing the workaround I did make two statements, "although this defeats the purpose of being able to provide proper feedback to VMware when submitting log files" and "So it is possible to run the VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2013 without debugging enable however again this usurps the purpose of participating in the beta program."!

Woody

• 10. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                            bhaverkamp Novice
                            VMware Employees

I agree with both of you. I now no longer believe the performance issue I am seeing is related to debug mode. I now suspect the UART log spew and will most likely enable debug mode.

• 11. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                              bhaverkamp Novice
                              VMware Employees

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Is this an issue? Any insights on the UART issue I am reporting? I don't see serial port listed in "VM settings". Is this something I can disable?

• 12. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                                continuum Guru
                                vExpertCommunity WarriorsUser Moderators

Open the vmx-file in an editor and make sure that you disable "Thinprint" as Thinprint uses a serial port.

In the previous versions sometimes Thinprint was a big performance killer - often the logs had to be thottled to keep alive in spite of all the Thinprint and serial port related errors

• 13. Re: How to disable debug info gathering
                                  bhaverkamp Novice
                                  VMware Employees

Yup, I had already removed the printer after reading a bug report on fusion that seemed related. So maybe that re-FALSEd my serialX.present settings.