VMware Cloud Community
Moif_Murphy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2003 vmdk / Bluescreen / Missing VMX

Hi,

We're coming out of the other side of a RAID failure which took a number of machines with it. I'm trying to restore one particular machine which was replicated offsite using SRM. Unfortunately I can't recover the usual way as the Protection Status is 'Not Configured' and I'm unable to reprotect as the connection state is 'inaccessible'. See below:

Unable to protect VM 'FTP' due to non-protectable connection state 'inaccessible'.  The VM must be properly connected before it can be protected.

This machine wasn't backed up either. Lessons have been learnt.

So, I've since discovered that the VMDK for this machine is sitting in a folder on a datastore on the DR side. However, there's no vmx file attached and I've tried to recreate the VM using the standard vm settings but it's bluescreening on boot:

ftp.png

Sadly, I'm unable to F8 to CHKDSK but I'm thinking this is more to do with a configuration issue on the vm side rather than the OS side. Possibly due to the machine version (which was 7) and we're now running 8 and above, the CPU / RAM setup etc? I'm not even sure if it's a 32 or 64bit OS.

Is there anything I can do to get this working?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Moif_Murphy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All good!

Attached it to a 2008 vm just so I could get the files off. Recreated the vm as 'typical' and reattached the VMDK and it only went and booted up!

Needless to say I've taken a snaphot and will get this mofo backed up this evening.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try to change the HBA from LSI Logic to BusLogic (or the opposite). If the VM was residing on a SCSI VMDK this should make the trick.

Marcelo Soares
Moif_Murphy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All good!

Attached it to a 2008 vm just so I could get the files off. Recreated the vm as 'typical' and reattached the VMDK and it only went and booted up!

Needless to say I've taken a snaphot and will get this mofo backed up this evening.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

0 Kudos