5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2013 9:39 AM by epora75 Branched to a new discussion.

vmware and hyper-v

jmtella Enthusiast

Thos version can coexist with Hyper-V?

In the same machine at the same time.

Regards,

• 1. Re: vmware and hyper-v
          dariusd Virtuoso
          User ModeratorsVMware Employees

Workstation can't run under Hyper-V (or alongside Hyper-V), but we can run Hyper-V inside a Workstation VM as long as the host OS doesn't have Hyper-V enabled.  This is unchanged from Workstation 9.0.x.

Cheers,

--

Darius

• 2. Re: vmware and hyper-v
            jmtella Enthusiast

Yes I know and use.

But that's not my question. What is missing in Windows 8 is precisely that which can coexist with Hyper-V on the same machine (without having to restart the operating system with Hyper-V disabled).

And this need not as a developer or IT, but an actual end-user needs.

Nor are valid responses like: hypervisor hypervisor type 1 and type 2. Technically it would be possible to convert vmware. Similar to W8/W2008/2012 operation when loaded below the operating system, driver HyperV.

• 3. Re: vmware and hyper-v
              dariusd Virtuoso
              User ModeratorsVMware Employees

Unfortunately, whenever Hyper-V is enabled on the host, the host OS will itself be running inside a Hyper-V partition, so everything running on the host OS is subject to Hyper-V's limitations.  We have no way to interpose ourselves at a lower level than the host OS's integrated hypervisor.  A host with Hyper-V enabled will therefore only be able to run applications for which Hyper-V can provide a suitable virtual environment.

So, as far as I know, until Microsoft enhances Hyper-V to provide the virtual CPU features/fixes required for it to safely run nested virtual machines, it will not be possible to run Workstation on a host with Hyper-V enabled.

I hope this helps explain the situation...

--

Darius

• 4. Re: vmware and hyper-v
                mfelker Expert

I found this out the hard way and not with VMwar which doesn't install under a Hyper-V enabled host.  VB did but upon rebooting Windowsl8 the OS hung before the login screen appear.  Fortunately I had an image backup.  So uninstall Hyper-V before playing  with VMware or VB.

• 5. Re: vmware and hyper-v
                  epora75 Lurker

I am running Hyper-V Windows 8 and VMware Workstation 9.x side-by-side. This is what I did.

1) Made sure Hyper-V role was disabled

2) Installed VMware

3) Re-enabled Hyper-V role

4) Made the following entry in the my vmx that I wanted to fire up to allow nested VMs

vmx.allowNested = "TRUE"

I needed VMware, since the Linux Integration Services capabilities is poor for Hyper-V on Win8. Specifically talking about graphics display.  For all Windows based VMs, I use Hyper-V.