VMware Cloud Community
Pidgeo
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI Storage lost after NICs replaced

Can anyone help with this dilemma.

We have 3 identical HP 5.1 ESXi hosts with onboard Broadcom NICs connected via iSCSI to a shared iSCSI storage.

All was working fine until system board failure on Host1 failed POST test.

HP replaced system board with on board NICs( when I was on leave) and all boots up fine loads ESXi from local storage OK.

All looks fine except this host can no longer see the existing iSCSI storage

Network connectivity is fine from the new host to iSCSI target, I can vmkping from Host to iSCSI target IP address fine across the dedicated iSCSi network.

Also strangely I have since added a further iscsi datastorage on the same device and this is seen by all 3 hosts!

Can anyone explain how to get Host1 to see the iSCSi datastores rather than rebuilding the host.

A rebuild for a simple hardware replacement seems drastic.

I have been assured by HP that the motherboard is the same so the drivers for the onboard Broadcom NICs should work, ( which they do for the new datastore)

I presumed there must be some link between the MAC address of the old failed NICs and the iSCSI address that maybe embeded in a config on the ESXi host.

help please

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tree_Dude
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like a rights issue to me. Did the iSCSI name change when the hardware did? You may need to add the new one into the other rights group(s).

0 Kudos
dave330i
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since host1 can see new datastores, it's probably not a permission issue. I believe you just need to add the existing datastore to host1 again via add storage command. You should be able to see the old datastore. If host1 asks to format the storage, you have a more serious problem.

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm guessing that the adapter name/address has changed and so the virtual switch your ISCSI VMkernel ports are attached to can't find the new NIC.   Add (or re-add) the NICs to the Vswitch that contains your VMkernel ports for ISCSI use.

0 Kudos
Pidgeo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks taylor b for the suggestion, that seemed the most plausible reply, but I'm afraid still did not have any effect. Even removed the entire vswitches concerned and recreated them, same issue

Any other suggestions? VMware support suggest rebuild ESXi

0 Kudos
Pidgeo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  ,

Not sure where I would go to change these permissions

0 Kudos