VMware Cloud Community
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP Scheduler won't start

hi guys

suddenly my Backup Scheduler won't start (I can see that in status VDP configure tab). It was working fine.

I manually start it. No go.

I used command: dpnctl stop mcs - dpnctl start mcs. Same thing it won't work. Logs for this process

any idea what could be causing the issue? Which logs to check?

thanks

=== BEGIN === check.mcs (prestart)
check.mcs                        passed
=== PASS === check.mcs PASSED OVERALL (prestart)
Starting Administrator Server at: Fri Apr 26 08:35:49 EST 2013
Starting Administrator Server...
Started
Started
Started
Started
Started
2013-04-26 08:36:35.511:INFO::Logging to STDERR via org.mortbay.log.StdErrLog
2013-04-26 08:36:35.639:INFO::jetty-6.1.23
2013-04-26 08:36:35.697:INFO::Extract lib/axis2.war to /usr/local/avamar/var/mc/server_tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_9443_axis2.war____.w8a9ms/webapp
2013-04-26 08:36:38.852:INFO::Started SslSocketConnector@0.0.0.0:9443
Administrator Server started.
INFO: Starting Data Domain SNMP Manager....
INFO: Connecting to MCS Server: myserver.vdp.xxxxx at port: 7778...
INFO: Successfully connected to MCS Server: myserver.vdp.xxxxx at port: 7778.
INFO: No trap listeners were started, Data Domain SNMP Manager didn't start.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please open a support request (SR) with VMware Support. They have some slick tools to help with log parsing. Plus, that will give us a chance to uncover and eventually fix any bugs that may be causing this issue.

0 Kudos
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well the thing is I already have a case OPEN 13308659104 for another issue and I sent an email on Tuesday and guest what no call no email....

0 Kudos
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"Your VMware support team always works to ensure that the appropriate resources and level of focus are applied to your request to ensure a timely resolution. If you are not satisfied with the progress of your support request, however, you can request an escalation. By invoking the escalation process, additional levels of VMware management attention, procedure reinforcement and resource prioritization are brought to bear on resolving your support request."

http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/escalation.html

0 Kudos
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks in the meantime any help from this forum would be great

0 Kudos
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found these in the log

1,22631,Server has reached the capacity health check limit.
2013/04/26-22:35:07 Attribute Value
2013/04/26-22:35:07 --------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/04/26-22:35:07 error     Cannot enable scheduler until health check limit reached event is acknowledged.
0 Kudos
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My issue was the VDP space

Check this table

http://screencast.com/t/LPOvxDdbK

this command fixed my issue and VDP scheduler is started again after freeing up some space

1. su - admin
2. mccli event show --unack=true | grep "22631"
3. If the #2 returns events, run the next command
4. mccli event ack --all=true

0 Kudos
IMMIAnt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Excellent work.  I had the same issue with my VDP and those commands got my scheduler working again.

After a previous issue with VDP that took VMware Support and EMC over 2 months to resolve, I wasn't looking forward to logging another call for support on a vDP issue.  Now I don't have to.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I ran into the same issue with disk space because stupid me chose too small of an initial configuration. Oh and geez you can't expand the disk footprint in VDP like you can in any other vm. You must get rid of old baks or redeploy. Loving it. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
khaedens1
Contributor
Contributor

thanks The su was not needed at the consol for me the rest worked and backup's started immediately

0 Kudos