VMware Cloud Community
jaymelo2wist
Contributor
Contributor

Getting Password string in ovf property

Hello,

I been working on the setting properties in the ovf template and this is working fine so far.

Basically, I add property in the product section under property tag and read its value during deployment time using

/usr/sbin/vmtoolsd --cmd 'info-get guestinfo.ovfEnv'

<ProductSection ovf:class="com.palm.product" ovf:instance="1">

<Info>info section</Info>
     <Product>LimeLite</Product>
     <Vendor>Palm</Vendor>

<Property ovf:key="UserName" ovf:type="string" ovf:userConfigurable="true" ovf:value="Admin" ovf:qualifiers="MinLen(0),MaxLen(65535)">
          <Label>UserName</Label>
          <Description>Creates an user account with the Name provided</Description>
     </Property>

</ProductSection>

Now, I need get password for the user account which we create during deployment. I looked into property data types and I couldn't figure out

the password type that masks the password entered in the dailog during deployment time.

Is password functionality avaialbe in the ovf template already ? If yes, please point me to the location from where I can make use of this.

The property type which are avaialbe in the settings is:

String, StringChoice, Integer, Real, Boolean, External IP Address, vApp IP Address.

I coudn't find password type in here.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

I don't think ovf  template will export user password too.

"a journey of a thousand miles  starts with a single step.".
0 Kudos
jaymelo2wist
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Ethan,

So thers now way to configure password during deployment time ?

Its not only about user password. Even if there is a way to mask the input field it would suffice.

0 Kudos
MikeDrangula
Contributor
Contributor

Try this:

<Property ovf:key="User_Password" ovf:password="true" ovf:type="string" ovf:userConfigurable="true">
        <Label>User Login Password</Label>
        <Description>This is the Password for this user login.</Description>

</Property>

Mike Drangula

0 Kudos
bithead2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For your exmaple here, how would you reference the password on the command line if you were deploying your appliance with OVF Tool?  Something like --prop.YourApplianceName.User_Password=lkdfl  or what does it look like?

Thanks,

CJ

0 Kudos
MikeDrangula
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry but I really have no idea. I always deploy with the vSphere client's OVF wizard.

MikeD

0 Kudos