VMware Cloud Community
StageCoach20111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Normal response times as seen in iometer

I'm running iometer on an RDM connected to a VM.  The RDM is part of a new storage array with nothing on it.  I want to run my VMware environment on this storage array.  What is a good number in ms that I should expect before I build the infrastructure on this array?  Currenly I'm seeing 50 ms, which is too high.  What should I expect to see in iometer before I know I'm ready to go live in this enviornment?  20ms?  10ms?   I'm using an 8K data size at 50%read, 50% sequential.

Also, what should I expect to see on the performance software of array itself?  That value in ms doesn't include the time from the iometer application to the FA port on the storage array.  Should that value be under 10ms?  Under 5 ms?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
djciaro
Expert
Expert

Hi, can you provide a little background info, for example:

Storage Array

Disks

Raid settings

FC Switch and speeds

Server model

HBA cards and driver used

Number of paths

PSP used

Size of LUN

regards

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
StageCoach20111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

• The storage array is emc vmax 20
  • It uses 4Gb FC links
  • Server model is hp bl685c g7 blade
  • hba cards are oracle fabric interconnect
  • Two links from the Hba to the fc switch and two from the fc switch to the array
  • PSP is round robin
  • Lun size is 1TB
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

recreate the issue and run esxtop and type u to view the naa id device. Check the DAVG and KAVG during that point of time.

0 Kudos