2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 6:28 PM by tipsluo

how can i migrate a  studio from a vm to another vm

tipsluo Novice

I created a new VM and installed the downloaded vmware studio, then I copied the /opt from the running studio to the new one, the profiles show up, but there is no build shows up under the profiles.

• 1. Re: how can i migrate a  studio from a vm to another vm
          samdoyle Enthusiast
          VMware Employees

Hi,

There is a sif cli provided for this. You can find out more information from the developer guide: https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/studio/studio26/studio_developer.pdf

For a full list of all the options you can run: /opt/vmware/bin/sif -h

For the basic export import case here is an example.

Assuming I have a profile caled ubuntu12.04x64.xml which I have successfully built a VM with I can:

1.) Export or create a sif file based on the profile

/opt/vmware/bin/sif -e  /opt/vmware/var/lib/build/profiles/ubuntu12.04x64.xml -o ubuntu12.04x64.sif

2.) Import that sif file into another Studio

/opt/vmware/bin/sif -i ubuntu12.04x64.sif -b <base directory>

To lay it out as it was on the originating you could use -b / for the root directory as base

There are other options there as well for including an iso for example if that is what you want.

• 2. Re: how can i migrate a  studio from a vm to another vm
            tipsluo Novice

After I exported the profile from a studio and imported to a new studio. I could generated a build on the new studio, but the build looks not able to get the update generated on the old studio. When I issue  :

vamicli update --check

it said:

Failure: Error validating the digital signature of the update manifest. Please contact your vendor.

Is there any files I need to copy for the migrated studio to generate build and update which can work with the previous build and update?