VMware Cloud Community
igorpa
Contributor
Contributor

Conversion fails with the error:FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion:'root is not found'

I try to convert P2M Linux server SUSE SLES 11 64 bit.

The Converter server log is attach.

It is my first linux to convert.

Any help?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
zoulas
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am currently out of the office, I will return April 10.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

I am not sure I can read the logs correcty: the last worker log contains a sysinfo from 2013-04-07T17:28:17 but the error in helper's log is from 2013-04-07T15:30:41. There was no info in worker logs from around 15:30.

If however the worker log is correct, there is really no root volume found by sysinfo; those are all the volumes found:

<volume mountPoint="/boot" blockSizeInBytes="1024" capacityInBlocks="490020" blocksFree="425118" blocksUsed="64902" devicePath="/dev/sda1" fileSystemType="ext3" isBootVolume="true" label="">
  <extfsFeatures dirIndex="true" filetype="true" hasJournal="true" journalDev="false" resizeInode="true" sparseSuper="true"/>
</volume>
<volume mountPoint="" blockSizeInBytes="0" capacityInBlocks="0" blocksFree="0" blocksUsed="0" devicePath="/dev/sda2" fileSystemType="linux-swap" isBootVolume="false" label=""/>
<volume mountPoint="" blockSizeInBytes="0" capacityInBlocks="0" blocksFree="0" blocksUsed="0" devicePath="/dev/sdb2" fileSystemType="linux-swap" isBootVolume="false" label=""/>

Can you post the fstab?

Consider also that converter can't manage unpartitioned disks, i.e. if the volume is created directlty on the disk, not on a partition, it won't be recognized.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

It is from Converter Worker log:

-->   <volume mountPoint="/boot" blockSizeInBytes="1024" capacityInBlocks="490020" blocksFree="425118" blocksUsed="64902" devicePath="/dev/sda1" fileSystemType="ext3" isBootVolume="true" label="">
-->    <extfsFeatures dirIndex="true" filetype="true" hasJournal="true" journalDev="false" resizeInode="true" sparseSuper="true"/>
-->   </volume>
-->   <volume mountPoint="" blockSizeInBytes="0" capacityInBlocks="0" blocksFree="0" blocksUsed="0" devicePath="/dev/sda2" fileSystemType="linux-swap" isBootVolume="false" label=""/>
-->   <volume mountPoint="" blockSizeInBytes="0" capacityInBlocks="0" blocksFree="0" blocksUsed="0" devicePath="/dev/sdb2" fileSystemType="linux-swap" isBootVolume="false" label=""/>

These are the volumes recognized on the source - only the /boot volume on /dev/sda1 and two swap volumes on /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2. Unfortunately there is no "/" volume recognized - most likely it is mounted on an unrecognized disk/partition (software RAID?)

Contributor

patanasov, ivivanov

fstab

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AAKX-001CA0_WD-WMAYU6657706-part2    swap    swap    defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AAKX-001CA0_WD-WCAYUAV00286-part2    swap    swap    defaults 0 0
/dev/md0    /    ext3    acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AAKX-001CA0_WD-WMAYU6657706-part1    /boot    ext3    acl,user_xattr 1 2
proc    /proc    proc    defaults 0 0
sysfs    /sys    sysfs    noauto 0 0
debugfs    /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto 0 0
usbfs    /proc/bus/usb    usbfs    noauto 0 0
devpts    /dev/pts    devpts    mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

yes i think it is software RAID

0 Kudos
igorpa
Contributor
Contributor

mdstat

Personalities : [raid1] [raid0] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md0 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb1[1]
      483138672 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]
      bitmap: 3/461 pages [12KB], 512KB chunk

unused devices: <none>

What is your suggestion?

Thanks

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

/dev/md0    /    ext3    acl,user_xattr 1 1

Unfortunately RAID volumes can not be converted.

0 Kudos
igorpa
Contributor
Contributor

I read about Cold Clone. If any of you have tried Cold Clone?

The second option is to remove software raid? What is your opininon?

Thank you

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Cold clone is no longer supported neither available for download.  Besides it was for Windows only. I mean, you can clone the data of a  Linux machine but you have to reconfigure it manually.

Which is an  option you actually have - do the whole conversion manually. In brief,  these are the steps converter takes to perform a Linux P2V:

- Create the destination VM. Create a VM with appropriate virtual hardware - disk sizes and controllers, CPU, memory, network.

- Power on that VM from a live CD. I'd suggest to use the installation CD for the distro you will clone.

- Create partitions, LVM volumes (if any). Format the volumes.

- Mount the newly created volumes somewhere on the ramdisk.

- Clone all data from the source machine. This is done using tar over ssh.

- Configure the VM (the trickiest part). It basically consists of the following steps:

- Install GRUB. Some installation CDs offer it from the menu, I hope CentOS does; otherwise - grub-install...

- Fix modules (in modprobe.conf, modules.conf or whatever  file is used by the distro version). This may not be needed if the  source has already everything necessary, but you would want to check.  Here is a piece of code with list of modules converter uses when patching SLES:

{"mptscsih", "kernel/drivers/message/fusion", ""},
   {"mptspi", "kernel/drivers/message/fusion", ""},
   {"BusLogic", "kernel/drivers/scsi", ""},
   {"pcnet32", "kernel/drivers/net", ""}

You most probably won't need all of them, as you can see there is both LSI Logic and BusLogic in the list.

- Create the inird image - e.g. mkinitrd

- Fix fstab file

Good luck!

0 Kudos