VMware Cloud Community
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

network issues

I had an issue where a Backup Exec backup snapshot filled up the volume and locked up the VM.  Eventually I got the snapshot consolidated, but to do it I had to create a new VM and link to the original vdisk.  At first I was getting a duplicate IP error and no network connection could get going.  I went through some of the suggestions and white papers I found to remove all the nics and vmtools, etc, and then reload it.  Now I don't get a duplicate IP, but it always goes from my static ip setting to a 169.254.104.118 address.  The gateway and dns settings stay intact.  The only way to fix it is to change ip to dhcp, then back to static.  I have to do this every time I restart the machine.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

So you have a static IP which you lose at every reboot and then have to first change to DHCP and then set the same address again?

Which guest operating system are you using?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, if I do an ipconfig, I get the 169. address.   But if I go into my network settings everything is in there except the gateway is blank.  I then switch it to dhcp.  Save settings.  Then go right back in and set my static ip up again.  Then it connects immediately.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Which Windows operating system are you using? It does sound like the old address is still stored in the registry somewhere making you revert to APIPA (169.254.x.x) at reboot.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

It's Windows 2008 R2.   It's actually my vcenter server so it's a real pain.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe Windows screwed up the network adapters!? It might be worth a try to remove all the network adapters from the Device Manager (including hidden devices) and then let Windows re-discover the correct one. Take a look at "Method 1" in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155/en-us

Ensure you create a temporary snasphot of the VM prior to trying this and disable the vCenter Server service.

André

0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, that's what I had tried and it didn't work.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What type/model of virtual NIC is configured for the VM (E1000)? Please double check whether the correct guest OS was selected for the new VM you created.

André

0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

It's set to vmxnet3 right now.  W2k8 R2.  Is that a fit, or should it be something else?

0 Kudos