Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network Management Station

0 Kudos
64 Replies
N3NCY
Contributor
Contributor

This is not a "Light" version of anything! This is a full featured Network Management Station based on Cacti complete with web based Syslog with integrated SNMP Traplog! Complete network and bandwidth monitoring with Threshold alerting to satisfy every need - bandwidth, latency, reachability, the ink in the printer down the hall, you name! If it is on your network, you can and should be monitoring and graphing it! Don't let your wireless gear go unmonitored - send Syslog messages and SNMP traps to this server for near real-time and / or historical processing and security.

0 Kudos
Clicky
Contributor
Contributor

Hi N3ncy,

Am very interested in this VM but all the torrents I have downloaded of this are corrupt.

Do you have a direct download or FTP please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
nah_olos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi together,

I've got the same problem as Clicky, all downloaded archives are corrupt, so if there is anybody how knows an answer or a ftp adress I would be glad.

Thanks

0 Kudos
N3NCY
Contributor
Contributor

I have two (2) emails off to VMware reporting this issue.

The original file itself was CRC checked by VMware after I uploaded it.

I am not sure what may have happened to it since then.

I do not have the file in a high bandwidth FTP location at this point.

If VMware cannot help us soon, I will buy some FTP space and upload it for you both to try.

While waiting for a response from VMware, I am also testing his fle via a bit torrent download again.

Sorry for the troubles, this is beyond my control at this point.

But I am working to have this rectified...

-Ernie

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We will also check it out here at VMware. Sorry for any confusion.

John

0 Kudos
cnott
Contributor
Contributor

Open the file FreeBSD-000002.vmdk in notepad, search for the reference to d:\bsdapp\FreeBSD.vmdk and replace the drive and path with correct information. VM should then start with out issue.

0 Kudos
nah_olos
Contributor
Contributor

This hint brings no solution for me. I even can't extract the files, during the extraction process WinRAR pops-up "The archive is corrupt".

Then there are two files in the folder BSDApp,

\- FreeBSD-000002.vmdk

\- FreeBSD-flat.vmdk

FreeBSD-flat has a size of 0kB and after replacing parentFileNameHint="D:\BSDApp\FreeBSD.vmdk"

editing FreeBSD-000002.vmdk with editor. VMWare popsup like this "Unknown file format. Please choose a VMWare configuration file"

0 Kudos
N3NCY
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I have tested downloading this file several times.

Each time I am able to ungzip and untar it no problem.

I use Bit Comet as my torrent downloader:

http://www.bitcomet.com/

I use a trial (free) version of Winzip to extract the files:

http://www.winzip.com/

You could use free open source versions to ungzip and untar as well.

First , decompress the archive with gunzip:

http://www.gzip.org/

Then untar the files:

http://www.gzip.org/

And / or from most unix (Linux) machines you can decompress and extract all at once:

tar xvf filename.tar.gz

I did not test with winrar since I don't have or use that.

Let me know if this helps.

-Ernie

0 Kudos
N3NCY
Contributor
Contributor

Oops I list gzip twice above, for the free version of tar go gere:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tar.htm

0 Kudos
nah_olos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

there is a problem during extracting it with winRar, after testing it with winzip it works without any problems.

nah_olos

0 Kudos
REM0
Contributor
Contributor

I Also had CRC problems with the zip using winzip.

Using gzip and tar from the links posted by N3NCY solved the issue:

gunzip -d VMwareNMS.tar.gz gave me an error.

gunzip < VMwareNMS.tar.gz > VMwareNMS.tar worked like a charm.

no issues with the tar.

-REM

0 Kudos
boran
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried to run it on the new Virtual Server 1.0, on linux. I was able to download extract the tgz OK, and removed the D:\BSDapp as noted in a post above and just set

parentFileNameHint="FreeBSD.vmdk"

vmware-0.log:Jul 14 11:32:50: vmx| DISK: Failed to open disk '/srv/vm/BSDApp/FreeBSD-000002.vmdk' : The specified virtual disk needs repair (14) 3023.

vmware-0.log:Jul 14 11:32:50: vmx| \[msg.disk.unrepairable] The disk /srv/vm/BSDApp/FreeBSD-000002.vmdk has one or more internal errors that cannot be fixed. The only option is to restore from a backup copy of this disk.

vmware-0.log:Jul 14 11:32:50: vmx| \[msg.disk.noBackEnd] Cannot open the disk '/srv/vm/BSDApp/FreeBSD-000002.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

vmware-0.log:Jul 14 11:32:50: vmx| POST(no connection): The disk /srv/vm/BSDApp/FreeBSD-000002.vmdk has one or more internal errors that cannot be fixed. The only option is to restore from a backup copy of this disk.

The only obvious thing that I notice is that I see no reference to FreeBSD-flat.vmdk, which is the main file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
nhuisman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am really interested in trying out your vmware image but I have the same problems the last person had:

vmware-0.log:Jul 14 11:32:50: vmx| DISK: Failed to open disk '/srv/vm/BSDApp/FreeBSD-000002.vmdk' : The specified virtual disk needs repair (14) 3023.

vmware-0.log:Jul 14 11:32:50: vmx| \[msg.disk.unrepairable] The disk /srv/vm/BSDApp/FreeBSD-000002.vmdk has one or more internal errors that cannot be fixed. The only option is to restore from a backup copy of this disk.

vmware-0.log:Jul 14 11:32:50: vmx| \[msg.disk.noBackEnd] Cannot open the disk '/srv/vm/BSDApp/FreeBSD-000002.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

vmware-0.log:Jul 14 11:32:50: vmx| POST(no connection): The disk /srv/vm/BSDApp/FreeBSD-000002.vmdk has one or more internal errors that cannot be fixed. The only option is to restore from a backup copy of this disk.

0 Kudos
wasletteam
Contributor
Contributor

peace of crap this vm

ready to use, give me a break.

0 Kudos
N3NCY
Contributor
Contributor

This has been tested and works easily on many systems.

I have had many positive responses and as such I am now working on an updated version of this appliance. My apologies to those few that have reported trouble and took the time to let me know exactly what needs updated in detail. This VMware management station appliance is based on a personal project that I have been working on for over a year. The project itself was not originally designed for VMware. This project was rapidly converted to a virtual machine appliance for this contest. During the process and the time since I am now convinced that this "server based management station" can run even better - as such I am developing a more refined version soon available for download at http://www.NMSWorld.com

0 Kudos
johnnailor
Contributor
Contributor

This image worked fine for me. I gunzipped and untarred, and had no problems.

The cacti web is a bit convoluted at first, but the VM works fine.

0 Kudos
linuxhacker
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also trying vmware server and get the same messages that everyone else documents. Have you yourself also tried this with vmware server?

I've ran a lot of these appliances under server and have a lot running in production under server, and you appliance is the very first one that would not just start and run.

Mike

0 Kudos
mucho
Contributor
Contributor

I am having problems downloading via torrent network (no seeders).. is there a way of getting this file from other sources?

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
vmwaredawg
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded the torrent to get this appliance, when I tried to run it, it came up in, paused mode, because of low memory and it contained a snapshop in the folder, which probably should not of been there. Do you know where I can download a good running copy. There is not hope for the one I got, I can't edit or anything, it is better for me to delete it. Help please?

0 Kudos