VMware Cloud Community
Moif_Murphy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trying to shrink Server 2012 disk using Converter 5.0.1

Hi,

We're in the process of moving data from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 to take advantage of the deduplication feature. We've had positive results and so we'd now like to shrink the size of the drive storing the data and free up some space.

The drive is GPT and is currently 630GB. In total the VM is 710GB and we're trying to achieve a resize down to 420GB. After various tests we've settled on using the Standalone Converter. We're using 5.0.1 build-875114.

We've had success converting other Server 2012 GPT disks so we know the converter can handle this but we're not able to resize the 630GB disk. Currently the option to resize only allows "copy all disks and maintain layout".

I think I know the answer but I need some clarification on this, is it because we're not allowing enough storage overhead on the destination datastore? I've managed to clear off up 850GB but that doesn't appear to be enough. How much do I need? Is there a rule of thumb we should be following?

I'm going to continue moving machines using svmotion to free up space and so if I am successful I'll report back.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
Moif_Murphy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks,

I'll give that a go but we're able to resize the disk of a different 2012 machine with a much smaller disk capacity using the current version.

0 Kudos
Moif_Murphy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well waddyaknow.

The option to resize is available again, so far so good. It's yet to complete the conversion and I'll report back once more with the results.

Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
Moif_Murphy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fail:

FAILED: A general system error occurred: Server closed connection after 0 response bytes read; <io_obj p:0x0366f5bc, h:
1020, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-worker-soap'>, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-worker-soap'>>

I'm going to free up some more space and try that again.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

"0 bytes response" in most cases means the server has crashed (in your case - Converter Worker service). Can you switch Worker logging level to verbose (instructions how to do it can be found at http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2008019) and retry the conversion and provide the worker log file?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure thing,

And it was indeed the Worker service that had stopped. Restarting the job now.

0 Kudos
Moif_Murphy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same deal,

Bombed out at 18%. Log file enclosed.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is the worker service crashed? I don't see nothing in log, even in case of crash there must be some info about this in log...

Try to convert volume E: as separate conversion. If this fails or crashes pleace attach logs.

Thanks

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmmm, there could be some (system) files which we can't process properly and the worker crashes.

I recommend to keep disk size, for sucessful conversion, and made the disk type "Thin" instead of "Thick", this will save your disk space.

HTH

0 Kudos