VMware Communities
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

use X to view a seamless vmware window remotely

Hello All,

My office has a standing desk running a laptop as a smart terminal and a sitting desk with the host machine. The challenge now is to use a microphone to dictate to a windows virtual machine that's running on the host. I've done this successfully with VNC, but it makes the laptop work pretty hard (fan, heat, etc.).

So the question is, do any of you know a way to start a vm unity window as an X program for use on a remote machine? I've done this using ssh -X to run normal X programs, but don't know the command for starting  or piping a unity window. I suspect it's impossible, but perhaps I can start the VMworkstation that way (ssh -X vmware).

I set up a shared vm and ran it via port 443, but the shared machines don't support sound, so the dictation won't work.

OK, rather than a question I have an answer. I just started vmware using ssh -X vmware and I've got the whole VM running on the server but displayed on the laptop! I'm amzed it works.

Alas, trying to dictate failed (the mic is input via usb on the server--it's wireless). The SSH session locked the local desktop and I had to kill it via the alt-ctrl-1 terminal. I suspect that the remote X window does not hook into the main X window audio pipe. So if any of you are Linux wizards and can help, that would be great.

Cheers,

Matthew

0 Kudos
0 Replies