VMware Cloud Community
hennish
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is Load Based Teaming supported for NFS vmkernel ports?

Hi. My customer has 2 x 10 GbE uplinks per host, which we use in a dvSwitch that handles all types of traffic (mgmt, vMotion, NFS, VM-traffic).

Since they don't have LACP/Etherchannel on their switches, and all NFS exports (on NetApp) are on one single subnet/VLAN, I have two questions:

1. Is it at all supported (by VMware and/or NetApp) to run everything over one single vmkernel port on one single subnet? It's not listed as an alternative in http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3749.html.

2. Is it supported to use Load Based Teaming on the port group of the above mentioned NFS vmkernel port?

I don't think the bandwidth will be an issue on these 10 GbE links, but I would like to run LBT if possible. If it's not supported for NFS traffic, at least I can run it on the VM port groups, which I assume will load balance the VMs to another uplink in case of traffic going above 75 % for more than 30 seconds.

If you have an answer to questions 1 and/or 2, please include a reference of some kind. I know LBT will probably "work just fine", but what I need is water tight supportability.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
0 Replies