VMware {code} Community
anuragvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issue while registering webclient plug-in with vCenter server

Issue while  registering webclient plug-in with vCenter server

I willing to register my sample web client plug-in with vCenter server, for that I tried with these steps

1. Created the vim.Extension data object in an XML file.
  2. Placed this file on vCenter Server at the location (…\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\extensions\xyz). Here “xyz” is sample plug in name.

It does not work. I check vSphere web client  sample plug-in does not download and deployed. virgor server log  also doesn’t have any error or entry for this sample plug-in. Please help me to  register my plug-in in vcenter server.

My vim.Extension data object XML file is as below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<config>

<extension>

<description>

<label>XYZ plugin</label>

<summary>XYZ plugin</summary>

</description>

<key>com.acme.XYZPlugin.XYZPlugin</key>

<company>XYZ</company>

<version>1.0.0</version>

<client>

<version>1.0.0</version>

<description>

<label>XYZ plugin</label>

<summary>XYZ plugin</summary>

</description>

<company>XYZ</company>

<type>vsphere-client-serenity</type>

<url>http://xx.xx.xxx.128:8080/examples/XYZPlugin.zip</url>

</client>

<lastHeartbeatTime>2013-02-22T11:25:52.814418Z</lastHeartbeatTime>

</extension>

</config>

I think I am not following the proper process required to register web client plug-in, please let me know the exact steps to register web client with vCenter server.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Putting the xml file into vCenter's extension folder doesn't seem to work as documented, sorry.

The more reliable ways to register a plugin are described in the SDK Tutorial document that comes with updated-sdk-docs.zip on the SDK download page, under section "3. Package and register your solution"

anuragvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for quick and valuable response, as you suggested I refer that document and register plug-in by following way

Use the old Windows vSphere Client to register a new plugin, through the Plug-in Manager view. Right click at the bottom of the list and select New plug-in..., then select the file containing the xml Extension data.

In this way I able to register my plug-in successfully as the old Windows vSphere Client display success message after registering new plug-in and I can also able to see the my new plug-in in  Plug-in Manager view. When I start vigor server for my new vCenter web client and check server log I can see following message about my sample plug-in downloading in the log file without any error but I could not able to see my plug-in in web-client UI

[2013-02-26 15:25:59.562] INFO  [INFO ] vc-service-pool-9            235BECDED30544746EE5C10E563DA639 com.vmware.vise.vim.extension.VcExtensionManager                  start writePackageToFile : com.acme.xyzPlugin.xyzPlugin

[2013-02-26 15:25:59.562] INFO  [INFO ] vc-service-pool-9            235BECDED30544746EE5C10E563DA639 com.vmware.vise.vim.extension.VcExtensionManager                  Downloading plugin package from http://xx.xx.xxx.xxx:8080/examples/xyzPlugin.zip

[2013-02-26 15:26:00.234] INFO  [INFO ] vc-service-pool-9            235BECDED30544746EE5C10E563DA639 com.vmware.vise.vim.extension.VcExtensionManager                  Done downloading plugin package from http://10.20.223.128:8080/examples/xyzPlugin.zip

[2013-02-26 15:26:00.234] INFO  [INFO ] vc-service-pool-9            235BECDED30544746EE5C10E563DA639 com.vmware.vise.vim.extension.VcExtensionManager                  end writePackageToFile : com.acme.xyzPlugin.xyzPlugin

Is anything more I need to do to see this plug-in in UI, please help me to short-out this issue.

-AR

0 Kudos