VMware Cloud Community
SiteRecoveryMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trend Micro Deep Security 9

I'm so new for Trend Micro & anti-virus for vmware !

I read that Trend Micro Deep Security 9 is the best for Vmware ...

I downloaded  (applience-Esx-9.0.0 ), I wish it's the right packet !

Please, if someone has Installation guide, to share it with me ...

thanks in advance ..

0 Kudos
16 Replies
afrench78
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue.  No installation documentation... it's baffling.  The link to download manuals goes to their generic software download page (which does not have any manuals) and the product support page for Deep Security e a) goes to one for version 8 (link here), while having a link for "Install and Uninstall" doesn't appear to have actual installation guides for all the pieces (only for DSR).

I know there must be a guide.  I'm sure I'm just missing something very simple... right?

[edit: I found the documentation. If you click on "More details" below the download link then some links for the documentation appear.]

0 Kudos
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

I didn't use this , but like every software this software must be have inbuit documentation .

You can install on one pc for testing purpose then explorer inbuilt document.

"a journey of a thousand miles starts  with a single step."
0 Kudos
afrench78
Contributor
Contributor

Once you get the managing software set up, the built in documentation is decent.  The problem was getting to that point.

As I posted in the edit to my post, I found the documentation, it just isn't in the clearest place from the links on their website.

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is a location that you able to see for Trend Micro Deep Security 9.

Administration Guide : http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/documentation/readme/Deep_Security_9_Admin_Guide_EN.pdf

Installation Guide : http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/documentation/readme/Deep_Security_9_Install_Guide_EN.pdf

Readme : http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/documentation/readme/Manager-9.0.4017-readme.txt

Just for my one cents!

Thanks!

- Azmer.MY -

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer
0 Kudos
N1tro
Contributor
Contributor

The installation guide provided by Trend is a bit confusing.  I have a step by step guide if you need it, I cut the install guide down to about 10 pages and put it into laymans terms - if you still need it let me know.

0 Kudos
virgilwashere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

N1tro wrote:

The installation guide provided by Trend is a bit confusing.  I have a step by step guide if you need it, I cut the install guide down to about 10 pages and put it into laymans terms - if you still need it let me know.

<aol>

Yes please

</aol>

:smileysilly:

-- Virgil Brisbane VMUG Leader Founding VMUG Board Director
0 Kudos
dhabbetichandra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please share us...

0 Kudos
LaPage
Contributor
Contributor

This is the order to install:

Install DSM and link to SQL

Import software (DSVA / filter driver - import them as zip files)

Deploy filter driver to ESXI (requires maintenence mode)

Deploy virtual appliance and activate  - if you have problems check the network settings and the time / timezone on the DSVA console (dsva/dsva to log on)

install VMCI drivers to the VM (has to be a custom vmware tools install)

activate vm

apply policy

test

done.

Use the version 9.0 documentation - it's a lot better.

0 Kudos
waeraas
Contributor
Contributor

Just a quick followup on LaPage step-by-step guide.

If you download the manager-software, unzip it, then copy all the software into that folder (appliance, filterdriver, agents) - all the software will be imported automatically during the install process.

From the installguide:

Place the install packages for the Deep Security Manager, the Deep Security Relay, the Deep Security Virtual

Appliance, and the Deep Security Filter Driver in the same folder from which you will run the Deep Security

Manager installer. This way the Deep Security Manager will automatically import the Relays, Agents, Virtual

Appliance, and the Filter Driver during installation. (If the Deep Security manager finds a Relay in the folder, it

will offer you the option of installing a Relay along with the Deep Security Manager.)

So the process would be:

Download all software (DSM, Filterdriver, appliance and agents if you plan to use them)

Set up database

unzip DSM software

copy all software into DSM unzipped folder

install DSM point to database

Deploy filterdriver (requires maintenance mode and reboot)

Deploy appliance and activate

Install  VMCI drivers to VM (Custom or complete installation).

Activate VM

apply policy

Oh btw: Deep Security 9 Service Pack 1 has been released.

PS. I work for Trend Micro

Kristian I work for Trend Micro - all comments are my own!
0 Kudos
LaPage
Contributor
Contributor

The import does not always work - the last install I did (last week - version 9) failed to import the filter driver  - could be an issue addresses in the SP

0 Kudos
waeraas
Contributor
Contributor

LaPage wrote:

The import does not always work - the last install I did (last week - version 9) failed to import the filter driver  - could be an issue addresses in the SP

Strange.. I have only experienced problems with the auto import once, and it was because the download of the filterdriver was interrupted (network outage), so the zip-file was corrupt.

Other than that I have never heard of this from anyone.... It would be interesting to know what went wrong.

I am going to check with some colleagues, if they have heard of this before.

Anyway, if the auto import does not work, you can still do a manual import - so it is not the biggest of issues.

0 Kudos
ldelloca
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've seen it happening at times with version 8, both because of broken downloads, and also differences in the binary files when downloaded from different service pack levels.

Another quick and dirty solution, if the number of ESXi hosts is not that much, is to directly install the vib files into the hosts… I know it's not a good solution, but has saved me some hours of work once to try and find out why the import or the deploy stage was not working as expected. To be honest, both those errors were happening on the v8, in v9 I never had problems while preparing ESXi servers….

Luca.

Luca Dell'Oca | vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017, VCAP-DCD, CISSP #58353 | http://www.virtualtothecore.com | @dellock6 | http://www.linkedin.com/in/lucadelloca | If you find this post useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
waeraas
Contributor
Contributor

ldelloca wrote:

I've seen it happening at times with version 8, both because of broken downloads, and also differences in the binary files when downloaded from different service pack levels.

Another quick and dirty solution, if the number of ESXi hosts is not that much, is to directly install the vib files into the hosts… I know it's not a good solution, but has saved me some hours of work once to try and find out why the import or the deploy stage was not working as expected. To be honest, both those errors were happening on the v8, in v9 I never had problems while preparing ESXi servers….

Luca.

In my experience: If the import fails it's most likely a corrupt file, or some strange condition that causes it (full database, no disk space).

If the deployment fails it is most likely DNS or firewall issues. Deep Security is highly depending of DNS and FQDN. A full disk on the host might also be an issue.

Normally you can find what causes the deployment issues by checking /var/log/esxupdate.log on the ESXi server.

When you deploy the filter driver you will find this in your log:

2013-06-10T08:50:15Z esxupdate: downloader: DEBUG: Downloading from https://<DSM-Server>:4119/vib/FilterDriver-ESX_5.0-9.0.0-995.x86_64.zip...

Any errors, either connecting to DSM, doing DNS requests or full disk will be located here. It is not that easy to figure out the problem only by checking the DSM log-files....

It is possible to install the VIB directly into the hosts, however I would not recommend it.

0 Kudos
ldelloca
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

(disclaimer: I'm a Trend Micro Deep Security trainer)

Yep, I agree the DSM logs are often too generic and do not help to easily find out problems during deploy, and I can confirm a proper DNS configuration is a mandatory requirement to have DS working correctly.

The direct vib deploy is a "last chance" workaround, but works with no problem at all, at refresh DSM sees the driver as installed and let you move to the appliance deployment.

Thanks for sharing the info about the useful logs to be checked.

Luca.

Luca Dell'Oca | vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017, VCAP-DCD, CISSP #58353 | http://www.virtualtothecore.com | @dellock6 | http://www.linkedin.com/in/lucadelloca | If you find this post useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
GordonPM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rather than start a new thread - this one seems relevant.

[quote]

Place the install packages for the Deep Security Manager, the Deep Security Relay, the Deep Security Virtual

Appliance, and the Deep Security Filter Driver in the same folder from which you will run the Deep Security

Manager installer. This way the Deep Security Manager will automatically import the Relays, Agents, Virtual

Appliance, and the Filter Driver during installation. (If the Deep Security manager finds a Relay in the folder, it

will offer you the option of installing a Relay along with the Deep Security Manager.)[/quote]

Is there way of forcing an install of the relay package?

We've upgraded to the latest version of DSM but the relay wasn't included and is still running version 8. I've tried re-running the installer but it doesn't prompt for the Relay install.

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Trend Micro Deep Security in my opinion is by far the best AV platform for VMware. We ran (and ultimately ditched) Kaspersky because it was total garbage.

Read the three documents Install/Admin/Best Practices guides and you should be able to get installed. It was rather easy I thought installing DSM9.

If you get tripped up call Trend they have great tech support.

0 Kudos