Contributor

vsphere client 5.1 not backwards compatible

Is the vsphere client 5.1 backwards compatible with earlier versions of esxi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

No, each version will have its own corresponding version of the client. If you manage multiple versions, you can have quite a few clients installed.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
proactis
Contributor
Contributor

God that is really annoying.

Oh well not too worry

0 Kudos
archyis
Contributor
Contributor

Yes and no. You would need to installation for each corresponding version but you can have them all installed on one computer. I publish the vSphere Console via Citrix and have it working for 5 and 5.1 without incident.

1. You can just run the 5.1 installer over the top of an existing 5 installation and it will work for both versions.

2. You can install 5.1 and then try to access a 5 farm and the bits will be added to the existing version.

Technically, what the gentleman said above is accurate but I believe you were asking whether a single system with the vSphere client could access multiple versions which is indeed the case.

0 Kudos
Cougie
Contributor
Contributor

I also find this extremely annoying especially when I have heaps of clients all using different ESX versions.

Is this a technical limitation or by design?

0 Kudos