VMware Cloud Community
maxel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setting vcenter tags with orchestrator?

The custom attributes in vcenter are now "tags".. but i can't find an action or workflow in venter plugin to set this tags

vcenter tags.png

Is there something i missed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi!

You didn't miss anything: unfortunately there is no way to automate these tag right now, because there is no API for that. So neither vCO nor PowerCLI nor any other tool can automate the tasks.

I recommend to consult your VMware representative to file a feature request!

(You are not the first one asking 🙂  )

Cheers,

Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi!

You didn't miss anything: unfortunately there is no way to automate these tag right now, because there is no API for that. So neither vCO nor PowerCLI nor any other tool can automate the tasks.

I recommend to consult your VMware representative to file a feature request!

(You are not the first one asking 🙂  )

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos
maxel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Joerg.. it seems that vmware is too busy to add such elementary things in the api Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes this is most frustrating.  When you use the web client for vCenter you cannot modify the custom fields any longer you are presented with a conversion wizard.  Thankfully you can still edit the custom fields via the api and the full windows client.  Some of us actually make use of these things so they had better have a good api in place before they really do force the change.  It was all a bit confusing at first and not well documented to be sure as has been the theme of the 5.1 release.  You can see further ranting from me on this at http://communities.vmware.com/message/2172256#2172256

At first I had thought the updates to the custom fields was not available at all.  Thankfully it turned out to be an anomolly on my side coupled with the fact that the custom fields are a bit buried in the web client that led me to believe those functions had been fully deprecated.

Paul

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is now. I wrote a short article about how to do this.

https://vm.knutsson.it/2017/01/assigning-vcenter-tags-using-vrealize-orchestrator/

0 Kudos
wwsj1967
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

While not automated I added some property groups within the blueprint and use a PowerShell script to update the tags when the VM is built.

0 Kudos