VMware Horizon Community
danschuster
Contributor
Contributor

Red X on network icon

I have about 10 users on VMware View Client running Windows 7 32 bit. I have had most of them at some point have a red X on the network icon, the only way I have been able to get rid of it is to delete there profile in AD for the virtual machine and have them log back in. This has taken care of the issue but they lose all that they had installed on the View Client machine. Now I have two of the users showing the red X again. Does anyone know what could be causing this and any other ways to fix it?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware Workstation to VMware View™ (with View Manager)

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So that typically means that a network isn't available. 

If if you click on it does it give you any indiciation as to what network isn't available?  

Is the image they are using built fresh as a virtual machine or was it a P2V of something?  

0 Kudos
danschuster
Contributor
Contributor

If I click on it it does not show our network and if I click on my computer it says they don't have access to it but if the open MS Word or Excel and go to recent document they can open them and save them to the network and I can ping the servers on the network. They are using a fresh image.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Is this a roaming profile or some type of local profile?   Is the virtual profile perhaps sharing a profile with a physical machine?     I'm not sure if that would carry over but it's worthwhile to rule it out. 

0 Kudos
danschuster
Contributor
Contributor

It is a roaming profile but the user logs onto the same computer everyday. This is not happing to all the users just a couple of them and I don't know why this is happing.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Can you get print screens and as much detail as possible about the environment, the users that see the problem, how long before it comes back after removing the profile? 

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

It can't be the primary network connection, as the remoting protocol needs to flow out over the network. Also, as you've pointed out, you can save files to network locations. It's likely this is some other network adapter, initiated by software - e.g. one installed for accessing the internet through an attached phone. Please include the output of running "ipconfig /all" on the command line.

0 Kudos
danschuster
Contributor
Contributor

This is the ipconfig/all. I have put the XXX in. I will work on getting some screen shots the next chance I can get onto this computer.

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

That output looks fine to me, I'd follow mittim12's suggestions next - hopefully the network connection screen launched from the icon will have some more clues.

0 Kudos
danschuster
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry I got pulled away working on other projects. I will get screen shots posted tomorrow. I do appreciate all the help.

0 Kudos
danschuster
Contributor
Contributor

Here are a few screen shots of one of the computers that has this issue. The first one is clicking the start button and then clicking Computer, the second one is I had MS Word open and I can access all the drives and save to them. As to how long before it comes back there is no answer. It has come back anywhere from the same day to not happing again yet (about a month). I just would like to figure out what is causing this to happen. Thanks,

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

What about if you click the icon with the red x? 

0 Kudos
danschuster
Contributor
Contributor

If I click on the red X it has two options Network and sharing options, when clicked on it says the no permissions message and Trouble shot and if I try that it has an error and can not run. I can get screen shots if needed. Thanks,

0 Kudos
RedDawg_1100
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is a crazy old post, but did you ever get it resolved?  We are having the exact same issue.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
RedDawg_1100
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone who may run across this with similar issues:

We were able to solve our issue by moving our persona repository from a Windows 2012R2 server to a Windows 2008R2 server based on the information in KB 2085366 ( Persona Management fails to sync user data to the persona profile in VMware View (2085366) | VMware ... ).  We are using View 5.3 so it is incompatible with a repository on server 2012r2.  We also had to recreate the profiles for users that had the red 'x'.

0 Kudos