VMware Cloud Community
lolhaha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

An error occurred during reconfiguration?

I am trying to convert my laptop to a virtual machine so i can run it on another computer. At about  98% it fails.

Error: An error occurred during reconfiguration.

Status: FAILED: Unable to create '\\.\vstor2-mntapi10-shared-7AA2989B00005006000000000A000000\$Reconfig$'.

13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can't tell you for sure, but there seems to be an OEM partition on the source. In addition it looks like you converted the VM (Windows 7!?) with an IDE controller instead of selecting an "LSILogic SAS" controller in the converter wizard.

One more hint. If the Windows version on your laptop is an OEM version (bound to the hardware), you may not be able to re-activate it in the virtual machine due to hardware checks and you would most likely violate the license agreement.

André

0 Kudos
lolhaha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The system i am trying to convert is windows 7. The oem partition that i think you are referring is the 100MB windows creates for recovery purposes and the vmware convertor is also selecting in the process of converting. In the converter wizard that [disk controler] is set to auto .

Also, even if the result is a failed operation, a file is created. The file boots in vmware, windows appears to be loading but a blue screen appears right before the clickable username page should appear. When the system restarts the option to fix errors was selected but windows did not manage to find a solution to the problem that caused the blue screen.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In the converter wizard that [disk controler] is set to auto .

That's the point where you want to select "LSI-Logic SAS" for the Windows 7 VM. If you don't do this an IDE virtual disk will be created (because this matches the source) which causes the blue screen.

The 100MB partition is not an OEM partition, but a partition created by Windows, so it's ok to convert this too.

André

0 Kudos
lolhaha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I selected that, tried again, failed the same way.

Can i set the reconfigure virtual machine to no?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you confirm the VM's .vmx file contains:

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsisas1068"

and the virtual disk (.vmdk file) is connected like to a scsi controller:

scsi0:0.fileName = "Windows7.vmdk"

If this is the case, you could try to run the Converter again, but selecting "Configure Machine" (rather than convert) and select the newly crested VM. Maybe this works and straightens up the configuration. At least worth a try!?

André

lolhaha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I made another attempt, but now i have deselected the option to reconfigure the virtual machine.

This process no longer failed. I loaded it in vmware but the blue screen happened again, tried to repair it using windows recovery but it failed. After that i went back to vmware converter and selected the virtual machine and checked reconfigure. The reconfiguration process took 1 minute with status Completed. The virtual machine booted in vmware and now works. I also lowered the virtual machine ram.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
lolhaha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

See last post.

0 Kudos
abenedik
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with converter (v5.0.1) - converter reported error described above when configuring the created VM (the previous steps of creating the VM were successful, but reconfiguring the VM failed).

After reading the posts here I saw that it is possible to just reconfigure the created VM. I have tried and got the same error as before.

I have also noticed that user lolhaha changed the memory. So I though that maybe I do not have enough free memory. I am having a 32 bit OS with 3.5 GB of available ram. The VM was created with 2.2 GB assigned. At the time of getting the error I have only 1.8 GB available (as reported by Task manager).

I have restarted Windows and than opened the Converter application again. At that time I had 2.6 GB available ram. I have repeated the configure step in converter and after a minute got SUCCESS (in configure options I have unchecked everything except the last option - reconfigure VM). The new VM is running successfully.

This probably means that the converter does not have enough ram to make the configuration. If this is the reason, than it would be really helpful to inform the user about that and not display the:

Status: FAILED: Unable to create '\\.\vstor2-mntapi10-shared-7AA2989B00005006000000000A000000\$Reconfig$'.

raphtor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

same with me - error at 98% during creation of the vm, then retried only configuration of the vm --> same error. Bluescreen when starting the VM. After reading this thread I made sure there is plenty of RAM available and retried the configuration of the VM, which ran through successfully. The VM works fine now. In my opinion this is worth being added to the knowledge base (there is already an entry, but it is kind of misleading).

Regards

R.

0 Kudos
Al_Savage
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the list.

vCenter Converter Standalone 6.0.0 build-2716716, running on WinXP SP3 host.  When attempting to reconfigure the guest OS, either during conversion of of a Virtual PC VM -> Workstation (or a subsequent configure-only run of the converted VM), I received:

and

FAILED: Unable to create '\\.\vstor2-mntapi20-shared-F72AF82A007E0000000000001A000000\$Reconfig$'.

pastedImage_2.png

Rebooting and closing all non-essential apps, then rerunning the configure-only job resulted in success.

Regards, Al S.
0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try to reconfig only VM. Upload log bundle to check the error.

0 Kudos
Al_Savage
Contributor
Contributor

"Rebooting and closing all non-essential apps, then rerunning the configure-only job resulted in success."

Regards, Al S.
0 Kudos
AEShier
Contributor
Contributor

FYI. I had this same problem. I tried all of the above recommended solutions with no change in the result.

I ran vCenter Converter from another machine on the network and just did the configuration step, and everything worked great.

0 Kudos