VMware Cloud Community
ripeed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

(solved) Copy VM by ovftool from ESXI 5 to ESXI 5 is slow

Hi, I try to copy VM1 from ESXI 5 to ESXI 5 with ovftool by run ovftool -ds=datastore1 vi://root@10.0.0.1/vm1 vi://root@10.0.0.2 on WIN7 cmd. (WIN7 is vm on destination server where I whant to transfer vm1)

VM have 43GB used. I have two servers with those ESXI5 connected to mikrotik on 1Gbps network.

The issue is that transfer is very slow. I can get proximetly 30Mbps.

How can I make it faster? I run that four hours and still was not completed.

Thanks for advice!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When I copy by scp vmdk file whot have 60GB and vm used 4GB I will must transfer all 60GB? Is there some option do it other way? I thnik OVFTOOL copy only what VM used.

Actually ovftool is intended to save you from all those file copy and blah blah troubles. When you scp an ovf vmdk file, it might be thin-provisioned, but on scping, it might extend to be a thick disk apparently leading to a higher storage.

My advise might be, have the ovf vm in a windows machine which is not a part of the destination server. Then using either ovftool or from vSphere client, deploy the ovf which will be the easiest method.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
planetvmuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How about trying to do this manually over SSH,

Enable SSH on the ESXi server

Get yourself a Windows SSH client, e.g. Putty etc

Connect to server 1 using the root account

Run a SCP command to the second server etc

www.vmnews.co.uk - Virtualization Blog, News, Facebook and Youtube feeds in one location.
ripeed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think about that. Run scp command you mean that command whot I wrote for ovftool? Or only transfer files? Can you please give me little step by step guide? I will be very glad for it.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can you make sure that the Win7 where you are using the ovftool and the destination server management port are NOT in the same PORTGROUP using the same nic for this process?

Thanks,

zXi

0 Kudos
ripeed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that WIN7 is in same port group and on the same NIC. But that I think is not reason from that slow transfer? Right?

But OK, Better will be if I log in by ssh to ESXI directly and copy by SCP the data from VM to NEW ESXI and create VM with same parameters and connect to that folder for VM what I copy by SCP.

BUT, is there question It will be faster?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes, that WIN7 is in same port group and on the same NIC. But that I think is not reason from that slow transfer? Right?

Hmmm.. no.. Your win7 hosting the ovftool will be utilizing the bandwidth while the management of the destination will be fighting for it for the ovf to be deployed which could be the major reason for the slowness

But OK, Better will be if I log in by ssh to ESXI directly and copy by SCP the data from VM to NEW ESXI and create VM with same parameters and connect to that folder for VM what I copy by SCP.

By scping, if you mean the ovf vmdks, then it entirely depends upon the network speed within the 2 servers. Just create a file of 1G [dummy file] and from one ESX do a scp to another ESX and find the time taken to transfer the 1GB file. You can then guess the time taken for the ovf vmdk.

HTH,

zXi

ripeed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do some tests with 1GB dummy.file.

try to WIN 7 install Veeam FastSCP and copy.

From server1 where is WIN7 and VM what I need to copy to server2 was speed -+ 70Mbps

From server2 to server1 it was half speed and worst.

Yes you have right zXi_Gamer.

I try to open on my laptop putty and connect to server1 and start copy by scp to server 2. Speed was about 19MB/s

But full speed of 1Gbps looks diferent. Soo think I am limited by storage...

When I copy by scp vmdk file whot have 60GB and vm used 4GB I will must transfer all 60GB? Is there some option do it other way? I thnik OVFTOOL copy only what VM used.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Actually ovftool is intended to save you from all those file copy and blah blah troubles. When you scp an ovf vmdk file, it might be thin-provisioned, but on scping, it might extend to be a thick disk apparently leading to a higher storage.

My advise might be, have the ovf vm in a windows machine which is not a part of the destination server. Then using either ovftool or from vSphere client, deploy the ovf which will be the easiest method.

0 Kudos
ripeed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Then using either ovftool or from vSphere client, deploy the ovf which will be the easiest method.

I can add hardware machine with win.

But I am interest of deploy ovf from vSphere client. Can you give mi advice how to do that? Please?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just open vSphere client, select File and select Deploy ovf template. or Click Import and select OVF package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob3UVPlI7mE might be helpful too...

HTH,

zXi

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just wondering if you are able to deploy the ovf?

0 Kudos
ripeed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just wondering if you are able to deploy the ovf?

Yes, I was able. So I do as you say. On the 3rd HW machine I export ovf, then deploy to new one. Speed was about 70Mbps on 1Gbps network. With speed I am not soo happy, but I solved my problem.

0 Kudos