VMware Cloud Community
dkins
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot login after upgrade to 5.1b - Fix for me

Hi,

I see several posts where people are having difficulty logging into vCenter after upgrading. Before doing any upgrade do yourself a favor and take SQL and VM backups using something like Veeam. I have carried out a number of upgrades to 5.1a and then an in-place upgrade to 5.1b without any issues. This weekend I upgraded a customer from 5.0 to 5.1b as it is now recommended.

Just to add, I always remove the default groups under permissions in vCenter and add a vcenter admins group to tighten up security.

After the upgrade I couldn't login using the VI Client and got a permissions error, so I then went to the Web Client and could login using domain credentials but nothing appeared. It looked as if my DB was wiped.

I logged a call this morning and after 2.5 hours support took logs for review and I had another go at it. I managed to login to vCenter using the local Server admin account (servername\administrator) and hey presto I was in. I went straight to permissions and saw that my vCenter Admins group was there along with Administrator, but the domain part was missing. I added in domain\vcenter admins and all worked.

Just thought I'd post this as it may help someone.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware vCenter™ Server to vSphere Upgrade & Install

Thanks for posting your fix!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have the exact same problem, but your fix did not work for me.  I'm still waiting for support to contact me.  I don't understand how this product ever got released. It is so plagued with issues, it's beyond belief that a company like vmware released this to the public.

0 Kudos