3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2014 12:06 AM by anglina

VMServer cannot mount vmdk after reboot

tshackelton Lurker

Hey there, I have a vmware server instance running on win2003 server. This has been running forever and a day, but a few days ago the VM hard locked. I hard stopped the VM and gracefully rebooted the host system. The host came back up, but the VM cannot see any partitions/volumes on the VMDK. I downloaded the vmdk dev tools, It passes both "checks", but will not mount (using the windows mount util). I've run chkdsk on the host system, and all is well there, other VM's on the host boot, just not the important one . Any thoughts, or advice??? No lock files, .vmdk and -flat.vmdk are there, not split, 40GB disk. I've tried attaching the VMDK to another VM, and it comes up as blank (or windows sees no partitions). I dont' need data per-se off of this, but I it will take me a week or so to get all the resouces together to rebulid (lots of 3rd parties involved). If you need more info, or have ANY advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks much,

Tony Shackelton

IT Consultant

Colorado Hi Tech Solutions.

PS- I'm not vmware super-star but I"ve been using it since the linux only workstation betas, so I'm not a noob either...

• 1. Re: VMServer cannot mount vmdk after reboot
          tshackelton Lurker

Just to add more info.... Here is what the utils tell me... Don't know if this helps or not...

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development  Kit\bin>vmware-vdi
          skmanager.exe -R "c:\Virtual Machines\XP 3RD Party  APPS\Windows XP Professional.
          vmdk"
          No errors were  found on the virtual disk, 'c:\Virtual Machines\XP 3RD Party APPS
          \Windows XP  Professional.vmdk'.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development  Kit\bin>vmware-vdi
          skmanager.exe -e "c:\Virtual Machines\XP 3RD Party  APPS\Windows XP Professional.
          vmdk"
          Disk chain is  consistent.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development  Kit\bin>vmware-mou
          nt.exe f: "c:\Virtual Machines\XP 3RD Party  APPS\Windows XP Professional.vmdk"
          Unable to mount the  virtual disk. The disk may be in use by a virtual
          machine, may not have  enough volumes or mounted under another drive
          letter. If not, verify that the  file is a valid virtual disk file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware  Virtual Disk Development Kit\bin>vmware-mou
          nt.exe /p "c:\Virtual  Machines\XP 3RD Party APPS\Windows XP Professional.vmdk"
          There was an  error reading from the virtual disk while obtaining partition infor
          mation.  Please verify that the virtual disk is readable and is not corrupted.

• 2. Re: VMServer cannot mount vmdk after reboot
            tshackelton Lurker

I got the issue resolved, The parition table had become corrupt. I repaired it using the active@ partiton recovery boot cd/ISO, then fdisk /mbr from a freedos disc. After that, she boots again! I didn't want to leave the issue just hangning out here. Hope this helps somebody in the future....

• 3. Re: VMServer cannot mount vmdk after reboot
              Novice

Hello Friend,

As you said that your partition table was corrupted. To fix this issue; I would like to recommend an external tool – VMware recovery. It has easy-to-use techniques for repairing corruption and damage issues of VMDK file or partition and retrieves data with 100% accuracy.

Visit: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Recover-VMDK-Data-from-bd1ecd39