VMware Cloud Community
CaDVM
Contributor
Contributor

Can't take a snapshot with memory flag 0

Hello,

I have a problem with some guest on an esxi 5 host.

When I try to backup these VMs via the vadp (tsm for ve) I get the following error on the esx:

The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing. The error code was: 5 The error message was: 'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8454 (0x80042306)

The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing. The error code was: 3 The error message was: Quiesce operation aborted
The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing. The error code was: 3 The error message was: Error when notifying the sync provider.

I searched for a problem on the guests but could not find a solution.

So I tried to take a manual Snapshot via the vShpere client.

I noticed, that I was able to take a snapshot of these VMs with the memory flag = 1 and the quiesce flag = 1.

The problem only occurs when I try to take a snapshot with memory flag = 0 (quiesce works with both, 1 and 0).

Can anyone help me with that problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rienesl
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution for that? My backup-solution needs a snapshot with memory flag = 0 and quiesce flag = 1 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
CaDVM
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

the problem still exists on 2 VMs.

We had the problem on 4 VMs, but I could fix it on 2 of them with the following workaround:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102138...

Best regards

0 Kudos
CaDVM
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody with the same problem?

The problem still exists....

0 Kudos
rienesl
Contributor
Contributor

@CaDVM:

Your Workarround fixed the problem with the snapshots. But the essential point for running a successful backup: You must not have _ANY_ snapshots of that machine. It will only work, if your VM has no snapshots at all.

Thanks for your help!!!

0 Kudos
CaDVM
Contributor
Contributor

Here is a short update why the operation is working with memory = 1:

Quote: Mimic TSM4VE’s snapshotting in VMware (snapshot quiescing troubleshooting) | TSMBLOG.org

TSM4VE is designed to exclude the virtual machine’s memory to always try to reach maximum application level consistency. Further, according to VMware’s “Virtual Machine Backup Guide” and other VMware documentation: when you include memory in the snapshot, the quiescing will not happen at all – because it is not needed. All things needed to quiesce the filesystem are already saved in the memory dump. In fact, when you select both options (memory + quiescing), the quiescing will be ignored. Further it is stated that when capturing the virtual machine’s memory state, the snapshot operation takes longer to complete. You might also see a momentary lapse in response over the network. All of the reasons listed here show why TSM4VE is not backing up the virtual machine’s memory.

0 Kudos