VMware Cloud Community
DPvassella
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate existing data from one Operations Manager appliance to another?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a method to migrate the data from one Ops Manager appliance to another one?

We have a couple of VC's in one appliance that need to be moved into another one and would like to avoid losing the collected data if possible. Wondering if anyone out there has attempted this before and how they went about it?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check out KB 2031543

I used it recently to migrate our vCOps 5.6 data to another 5.6 vapp instance. went very smooth.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203154...

DPvassella
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that link, I forwarded onto VMware and they came back with below:

> I have got a reply and they explained that side-by-side upgrade only exists from vC Ops 5.0.3.

They also said copying single VC's accross is impossible so I'll have to lose my collected data (only a months worth so not the end of the world).

Cheers!

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I actually helped draft that document.  I'll look into any pending updates, to see if there is anything else you might need to know.

The upgrade50 (vC Ops 5.0) command will copy all data over.  Once it's copied, you can purge out the vCenters you don't want.  So copy all then prune.

There are some nuance differences in process between the two.  If you are upgrading to vC Ops 5.6, and want to use Configuration Manager (vCM) or Infrastructure Navigator (VIN) integration, make sure both are up, compatible, and working.  Once the upgrade is complete, you have to do an 'update' on each vCenter from the /admin page to create an instance of the adapters required for the VIN/vCM integration.  I think you need to do this anyways to confirm credentials, but just want to note that's how the adapters are configured.

Also, afaik, upgrade50 from vC Ops 5.6 will work with vC Ops 5.0.x (nothing prior to 5.0.0).

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

0 Kudos