VMware Communities
FlyNNN
Contributor
Contributor

"You do not have permission to enter a license key..."

Just downloaded and installed workstation v9. Run as administrator, open a VM, prompted to enter license key and get this message; "You do not have permission to enter a license key. Try again using the system administrator account." WTF?!!

vmware_message.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FlyNNN
Contributor
Contributor

Way to much NOISE on these web pages. Finally found "search" and found a resolution with command ""C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe" --new-sn XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX".

Now getting error running any VM; "Unable to open kernel device "\\.\Global\vmx86": The system cannot find the file specified. Did you reboot after installing VMware Workstation?" I'll give search another try ...

vmware_message2.jpg

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
open a cmd as admin and enter "net start vmx86"
If that says domething like "that service is not installed" your installation has failed.

Sorry - I do not know how to uninstall WS 9 in a reliable way Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
FlyNNN
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input. I was not able to confirm if your suggestion would have worked as I was able to come up with a resolution. For future searchers, it went as follows; I was trying to open up Server v2 VM's.

A search on this site found one hit. Really? Uninstall and remove all references in the registry. This has been the solution for all bad apps since the beginning of Windows. Really? So I proceed with this path. Where's the uninstall routine? None to be found. Really?

Fortunately I ran a uninstall app prior to installation and was able to remove ALL changes. I then went through the registry manually and removed any "VMWARE" references. I was then able to proceed with a successful installation. The key is asked for at the end of the installation routine. This was not the case during the first installation.

After the installation I attempted the run the old VM's. Nothing. No errors. No nothing. No run? Blank. Really? I attempted to create a new VM. It starts and creates a few files and then nothing. No errors. No nothing. Blank. Really? So much for this trial. I then threw it out. Garbage in my opinion. Same as my recent attempt to install the ESX server. Would not install to a whitebox configuration. Installed Citrix with no problem. What has happened with VMWare??

0 Kudos