VMware Communities
PeterH64
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Windows 8 on VMFusion 5

I just upgraded to VMWare Fusion 5 and then decided to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8.  I can't install Windows 8.  I get a general error when trying to install Windows 8 as follows: VMWare VMSCSI controller not compatible with Windows 8.  Has anyone else experienced this and is there an easy fix to this problem?  I really would like to upgrade from XP.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
knmdk
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

For XP-to-Win8 upgrade, some manual tweaks are required for the upgraded VM to work well:
1. Run Win 8 iso in XP VM to upgrade.
     The Windows setup wizard give out an error "Windows cannot be installed  to this disk. Windows needs the driver for device [VMware VMSCSI  Controller]" (see attachment).
    To solve this issue, plz modified virtual disk from SCSI to IDE, see this video for steps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WSjtCjcXjY

2. Then I found the network adapter was not working anymore after the GOS upgrade is completed:
     To solve this, I shut down the VM, change OS type('Settings>>General>>OS' option) from previous Windows  XP to Windows 8, then remove network adapter and add it back again(Using "Add device..." button on Settings panel)

3. Please don't forget install the "VMware tools" after the above steps.

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another Solution is to upgrade the VMWare VMSCSI drivers to LSILogic ones which are compatible with Windows 8 and will make the upgrade possible.

To do this you can follow the instructions in the message on this thread

I was able to upgrade from XP to 8 with no problems after changing the VMSCSI driver. However, I don't know if you'd call it an easy fix and it's up to you which solution you want to proceed with.

0 Kudos
PeterH64
Contributor
Contributor

I did this but was still unable to upgrade to Windows 8 from the upgrade assistant. And in XP I was not able to save any files.

Peter Holtman

TNS Communications LLC

401.762.0226 Office

508.689.7532 Direct

401.427.6024 Fax

pholtman@4tns.com<mailto:pholtman@4tns.com>

www.4tns.com

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I see that you replied to dakangz - is this a reply to their solution or mine? And what files couldn't you save to XP? If you have more information on where you got stuck that would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
PeterH64
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you to everyone who responded. Your instructions were helpful. I did ultimately need to work with VM technical support to walk me through the procedure and we were able to resolve the issues I had.

0 Kudos