VMware Cloud Community
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 5 vsphere replication

I was planning on trying the vsphere 5 replication feature.  Would this be a viable option for full duplication of your vmware environment?  For example, if your vsphere server and the replication application disappears, can you still power up your replication virtual machines on the secondary location?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

Would this be a viable option for full duplication of your vmware environment?  For example, if your vsphere server and the replication application disappears, can you still power up your replication virtual machines on the secondary location?

How big is your environment? If less than 500 VM's, they yes ... BUT take note of the note;

NOTE: It is not the goal of vSphere Replication to provide complex orchestration of disaster recovery in the

manner of VMware® vCenter™ Site Recovery Manager™. Instead, vSphere Replication offers replication on a

per–virtual machine basis to enable fine-grain recovery configurations for environments that need it.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/Introduction-to-vSphere-Replication.pdf

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

I also noticed in the docs that it uses Windows Volume snapshot service on Windows servers.  I can just imagine how much trouble this is going to cause with my Backup Exec backups.  Can anyone verify if it's an issue or not?

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I assume you are using VR 5.1.0.1.

If that is the case, several things:

* Yes, if the source site (either VC or VR or both) is down you can recover your environment but 1 machine at a time. If you need orchestration you need to use SRM

* Guest Queiscing is optional and could be skipped. What issues are you concerning about windows servers?

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos