VMware Cloud Community
thatfellow76
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 Free License

I just installed ESXi 5.1.  Every time I start the Client I get the warning that my trial will end in 60 days...  I tried to register for the free license but I just got an error saying that the key was already in use... But I still get the license warning every time I log in from client..  What I want to know is..

1... Is ESXi still free?

2... How do I use the free license & what will it allow me to do?  I know I will lose functionallity but I am a hobbiest / home user so I dont mind as long as I can do the basics.

Thanks guys..

21 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

You need vSphere Hypervisor (this is the free version);

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
olitek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys, I am also looking for the free ESXI 5.1, that link takes me to the same place that it seems the evaluation version is downloaded. Does this product need to be registered for use after the 60 day trial?

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

Once you login to download the product, you are provided with a licence key - see image below.

I have blanked part of this one out in the screen shot;

VMware-Hypervisor.png

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
olitek
Contributor
Contributor

Got it. Thankyou!

0 Kudos
ThanSeinOo
Contributor
Contributor

Still confuse. It that lic key only last for 60 days or never expire like before?

0 Kudos
ThanSeinOo
Contributor
Contributor

Got it, Thanks.

0 Kudos
ssparacino
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,
Open vSphere client, then select host icon and open Configuration tab.
Under Software list, open Licensed Features and at the upper right corner, click on Edit...
Select "Assign a new license key to this host", then insert your own free license key provided you by VMWare site.
Enjoy!

Salvatore.

VMwareReady123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi while connecting the host to vCenter Server , it is displaying error as licence expired , but i just installed it before 20 days back , any solution there ...

0 Kudos
Wvarghese
Contributor
Contributor

So I followed each step and I saw the license key on the wmware website as 's screenshot show.  But when i enter it into the the field and click Ok, it says "An error occurred when assigning the specified license key:  License is not valid for this product".

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please consider to create a new discussion and add some details, like the exact version/build/edition you have installed. A screen shot might also be helpful.

André

0 Kudos
hjhghjg
Contributor
Contributor

The licence installed successfully, and the status of the Licencing changed to "Expires: Never", but when I rebooted the ESXi 5.1 server, I got a message that the licence will expire in 60 days, and when checked the licence status I found that the free licence is now show at all.

0 Kudos
ShaneFellows
Contributor
Contributor

Yes ESXi is still a free product, however the 5.1 version is limited to the amount of ram that you can have running on the box.  32gbs is the limit.  An upgrade to 5.5 will remove that restriction. 

If you let the license expire you will lose the ability to manage the vm's running on the host. 

0 Kudos
ray_dha
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

since the 5.5 remove the limit of 32GB memory.

but then, for one license key, how many host can I install/license?

0 Kudos
anugraha46
Contributor
Contributor

thank you very much

u save my day,,

0 Kudos
john67
Contributor
Contributor

HI Everybody

I have the same prblem with ESXi 5.1. The Licence is registred and  installed successfully, The status of the Licencing changed to "Expires: Never",

After few secends I got noticed about Evaluation mode and lincence expired 45 days .

How J Can resolve the problem ? Thanks for advice in advance .

0 Kudos
sotiris1
Contributor
Contributor

thank you, for a very correct answer

if you follow the vmware prompts you are taken for a loop; it would seem that vmware will only give you a free license for ESXi if you take the time to search and find people like yourself that have found the answer and are willing to help.  It would seem that sadistic is the proper word to describe their behavior.

0 Kudos
dheck1961
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

0 Kudos
iofhua
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I am having the same problem. I downloaded ESXI 5.0 about a month ago and was able to find my key and activate it at that time - but I recently upgraded it to ESXI 5.5 (requires the same license key) and can no longer find my ESXI 5.0 license key when I log into My VMware. There is a screenshot on the first page that shows where it is, and it's not there when I look at that same page on my account.

I have even contacted VMware support about this, and they say I don't have any license keys associated with my account? I told them I got a free license key when I downloaded ESXI 5.0 so I don't know what happened to it. I hope they didn't decide to change ESXI 5 from a free to a paid product.

0 Kudos
iofhua
Contributor
Contributor

Nevermind I just found it. Had to click it to show downloads for the last 90 days to find my ESXI 5.0 download and key. They really should have a separate license keys page just for all your keys.

0 Kudos