VMware Cloud Community
appica_ian
Contributor
Contributor

Chargeback 2.5 / VCD 5.1 - Storage Tiers

Hello,

I am only getting rate factors to apply on Pay-As-You go customers.

I have setup rate factors for my storage tiers.  I run a report against a pay as you go vCloud Director Customer and it reflects these rate factors in the report.  If I run a report against a vCloud Director Customer that is set as Reservation pool,  It ignores my rate factors and just charges my base rate.

Shouldn't I be able to use rate factors for Reservation Pool customers?

Thanks,
Ian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Did you happen to type in another rate factor elsewhere?  It would need to be lower in all other places to inherit the rate factor from the Datastore Tiers.  I think this is either in the billing policy or in the cost model area, as it sounds most likely that you may have defined it in multiple places instead of just at the Datastore Tier.

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/cbm_users_guide_2_5_0.pdf

When the storage cost is calculated, vCenter Chargeback Manager checks for the cost configuration on the datastore. If the datastore matches a profile and is listed under a profile, then the cost configuration on the profile is considered. If the datastore or the profile is grouped under a tier, then the cost configuration details of the tier is used for calculating the storage cost.

If a datastore matches more than one profile, then the datastore appears under each matching VM storage profile. In such a case, the highest user-defined rate factor set on the VM storage profiles is considered. Therefore, if a datastore matches two different profiles and if you have not defined any rate factor on either of the profiles, then default rate factor of 1 is considered. If you have defined rate factor on both the profiles, then the highest of the two rate factors is considered. However, if you have defined rate factor on only one of the profiles (say, 0.75), then the user-defined rate factor is considered even if it is less than the default value of 1.
0 Kudos
Cancan201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I have a problem similar to what Ian has.

When I run a report for a vCloud customer (Allocation Pool) at the org vDC level, it ignores the rate factor.

However if I use the same pricing model to run another report for the same customer at the vApp level, the rate factor is used.

I am using "Placement Based" for storage infrastructure. I only set the rate factor under "Infrastructure Cost". Not sure where else it can be set.

Thanks.

Susan.

0 Kudos
dalidavila
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem here, I configured the rate factor into the storage Tier profile at "infraestructure cost" option, and when I run a report at vDC level the rate factor is ignored and replaced with "1". but when i run the report at vapp level the rate factor that I did configured is used!!

Aaaaanndddd another tricky thing, When I run the report at vapp FOLDER level, the rate factor that I configured is considered, BUT! just for the first vapp inside of the folder, for the rest of them the rate factor that I configured is ignored and "1" appears again.  Smiley Sad

What could be happening? Obviusly this behavior is not desired for my Allocation or Reservation customer vDCs. where the cost must be calculated for the total chunk of resorces at vDC level, not at vapp level.

Please anyone that have an Idea?

0 Kudos
mbrkic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has anyone figured this one out yet?

Is there a way to charge different rates for storage allocated from different storage profiles at the Allocated or Reserved ovDC level?

Cheers,

Milos

0 Kudos
PramodCV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

This can happen if the rate factor is set at the Edit infrastructure cost at datastore level  and rate factor set at Edit entity cost. When this is the case, CBM picks up the value set in Edity Entity cost and overrides the value set for datastore.

One more thing that we need to very careful is while setting rate factor at parent leve, by default the values set at the parent level propagates to its child.

Thanks

Pramod.

0 Kudos