VMware Communities
alladin
Contributor
Contributor

Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken

Im running fusion 5.0.0 on mountains lion 10.8 (2.53 ghz intel core i5, 8GB machbook pro). I unpluged my machine from the power source for about 30min which caused the Mac to switch the screen off like it always does, when i plugged it in again Mac was fine coming as the screen came back on however VMfusion (running windows 7, 2 processor cores, 3744 MB ram) is not coming back up. Im getting one of two errors Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to or Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken.

Can someone advise me what to do please. I'm too scared to shut everything down and boot up form scratch just in case that is not what needs to be done. FusionVM is currently suspended but i cannot resume it. I've over 10h of work which id rather not do again as ive not backed it up. Please help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

When you close vm or system forcefully this usually happens. Fusion hardly gets time to preserve the status of the vm and end up getting stuck.

To fix this basically you need to delete 3 file from the vmwarevm bundle. For details refer this article

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Moskose
Contributor
Contributor

I had this error message occur this morning running VMware 5 and Windows 7.  I followed the tip to remove the filetypes noted (2 of the 3 types noted were there and then, manually edited the .vmx file as noted but I am still getting this error message.  What is the next step?

0 Kudos
rupsky
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem today and deleting the lock files and editing the vmx file didn't help me either. What can i try next ?

0 Kudos
rupsky
Contributor
Contributor

Rebooting my laptop fixed the issue. I had to removed the lock files and edit the vmx file as suggested above befor ethe reboot.

0 Kudos