VMware Communities
marko99
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare5 Win7 @ and " Swapped driving me nuts!

Hi

I am in the UK and using a UK keyboard (full size) on a MacPro running VMW Fusion. I use the VM mainly for development using MS Vis Studio which all works great. However, a rel annoyance is that the @ and " keys are swapped over and in a development day I type a lot of " characters!!

Please can someone tell me how I can resolve this. Surely VMWare realise that life exists outside of the USA and provide a working keyboard layout for us poor folk in the UK!

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm assuming the @ and " are switched compared to a US Keyboard Layout and if that is true I'd think if the Language/Keyboard is set to UK in both the Host and the Guest it should work properly however if it doesn't the only suggestion I have from the VMware Fusion GUI is to use VMware Fusion Keyboard Preferences to create to Key Mappings that would swap @ and " when the normal keys are pressed.  I just tried it on a US Keyboard and it worked as expected, when I type Shift+2 I got " and when I typed Shift+' I got @.

0 Kudos
movielad
Contributor
Contributor

On my British extended Mac keybaord, shift 2 should produce @ and shift ' should produce " - however, I cannot see any possible way within Keyboard Mappings for the Windows 8 Profile to swap these around.  Windows 8 has the United Kingdom language installed.

This is a major oversight - if Parallels can get this right I'm surprised the team at VMWare cannnot.  However, I do need to retain compatibility with VMware's other products and I'm likely to still buy a license regardless, so I would appreciate a bit more effort from VMware/EMC in ensuring different country Mac keyboard mappings are taken into account within the Guest OS.

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, movielad have you tried this Apple Keyboard Layout for Windows:

http://parkernet.com/applepro/index.html

I recall using it successfully in the past with an Apple Keyboard in Windows 7 - you might need to run it as admin though I'm not sure.

0 Kudos