VMware Cloud Community
metalgear32
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VM CPU Count discrepancy in Detailed Report

I am running vCloud Usage Meter 2.3.2.1 Update 9 and am seeing a discrepancy in CPU counts on a lot of my VMs. For example one of my VMs has 4vCPUs while Usage Meter reports it as having 2. Changing the CPU count does not seem to update the count in Usage Meter either. I have changed VMs with 2 vCPUs to 4, allowed 4 hours for data collection and saw no change in the CPU count for that VM. Does this discrepancy have any impact on license billing? Or am I misinterpreting the column? Example below.

Screen Shot 2012-10-24 at 4.53.07 PM.png

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCPU is not factored into the billing anymore and hasnt been since Jan 2011.  Only vRAM is used for vCloud Bundles.  vCPU is provided as information only to help characterize the virtual machine in the detail billing and detailed usage reports.  The intension is to eventually provide more details on vCPU usage, storage, network, etc for those who wish to pull that information from the Usage Meter for their own billing purposes and not for VSPP.

I'm interested to see why this is happening and we'll take at look to see if we can replicate your error.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCPU is not factored into the billing anymore and hasnt been since Jan 2011.  Only vRAM is used for vCloud Bundles.  vCPU is provided as information only to help characterize the virtual machine in the detail billing and detailed usage reports.  The intension is to eventually provide more details on vCPU usage, storage, network, etc for those who wish to pull that information from the Usage Meter for their own billing purposes and not for VSPP.

I'm interested to see why this is happening and we'll take at look to see if we can replicate your error.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We did file a report on the CPU discrepancy you noted and will have that resolve for the next release, though not likely for a patch release to handle to vCOPs version that is coming out mid-Nov.

0 Kudos
b0rbb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Was this ever fixed in the 3.0.x releases?  We've been seeing this issue since version 2.3.2, and we're currently running 3.0.0 and are still seeing issues where the CPU count won't update on some VMs.

0 Kudos