VMware Communities
smzah
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft NLB unicast not working with VMware Workstation

Hi all,

- I'm trying to setup a two nodes network load balancing (NLB) in unicast mode environment in Windows 2008 with VMware Workstation 9.

-I have 3 VM : One for Domain controller, second for ClusterNode1 and third for ClusterNOde2.

-I have 2 NICS configured on each clusterNode VM, one for the Management and second for the cluster

-Everything worked fine until, i have started the second node, so I received the following message :

Adapter Ethernet0 may not have network connectivity.MAC address 02:BF:AC:11:01:34 of adapter Ethernet0 is within the reserved address range or is in use by another virtual adapter on your system.

1st solution I found :  was to generate new MAC address..but it did work for the Ping

I've searched the knowledge base, but always end up with some solution for ESX. Is there a way to make this work with VMware Workstation ?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The error message does not help without context - it sounds like you simply copied the second node.

To check for the MAC addresses inspect both vmx-files - they may have duplicate MACs

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Although you stated that you are after a solution for Workstation as opposed to ESX...

There are so many limitations and caveats on Unicast - try a multicast implementation, you may find it "just works". I'd expect those limitations from ESX apply to Workstation also.

0 Kudos