VMware Communities
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMware Player 5: license expired...

As a part of the VMware Fusion 5 Professional trial, there is also the possiblity of inserting the trial serial number into VMware Player (thus allowing it for commercial use): out of curiosity (I don't need commercial use of Player), I tried this, about a month ago...

The problem is that now VMware Player (nested inside a Fusion Windows 7 VM, primarily to run XP Mode), in the title bar, says that the evaluation period is expired; while I would obviously rather prefer that it returned to the original behaviour, i.e., where it says that it is only for non-commercial use, in the title bar.

In the meantime, I also purchased Fusion 5 in the normal, boxed version (currently, I don't need the pro features).

So, is there some (hidden?) setting(s) in Windows 7 that can restore the "for non-commercial use" text in the Player title bar (instead of having "expired")...?

In OS X, AFAIK, the licensing information is in "/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion": but in Windows 7... where is it?

Would uninstalling and reinstalling Player fix the problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The problem is that now VMware Player (nested inside a Fusion Windows 7 VM, primarily to run XP Mode), in the title bar, says that the evaluation period is expired; while I would obviously rather prefer that it returned to the original behaviour, i.e., where it says that it is only for non-commercial use, in the title bar.

Deleting the License Key in the Windows Registry will reset it back to "VMware Player (Non-commercial use only)".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From how I understand this, you cannot change the display (title) and it's more a reminder in case of commercial use. Even the Help screen says that "in case of commercial use ..." you need to purchase a license key.

André

SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, but the "license expired" message appears only because I previously had inserted a valid trial serial number for the commercial version (the same as for Fusion Professional): if I hadn't inserted that serial number, the Player would still be in its original state, that is with the non-commercial use warning instead of the one of expiration of the trial.

So, inserting the trial serial number must have modified some setting(s) in Player, which ideally should be restorable to its original state (by removing some registration file? something other? maybe the Windows registry is involved, too?).

It's indeed rather unelegant to have that "expired" banner forever in the Player window, when you only plan to use it non-commercially...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Deleting the License Key in the Windows Registry will reset it back to "VMware Player (Non-commercial use only)".

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you very much: that worked, indeed! :smileycool: Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

... BTW, the key item to be removed is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.\Vmware Player\License.fusion.50.xx.xxxxxx

... and there's also a

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.\Vmware Player\Dormant

item, but I left that alone.

The VMware Player now displays the "non-commercial" text, as it was originally...

0 Kudos