VMware Cloud Community
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1 - SSO DB?

Trying to upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1, but the first step has me scratching my head.  I have vCenter and SQL Express currently on the same server.  The v5.1 "Simple Install" begins by installing SSO and then asks, do you want to install the SSO DB on a compatible SQL DB or install it using SQL Express 2008 locally.  Well, I already have SQL Express 2005 installed, which contains my vCenter 4.1 DB.  Has anyone encountered this situation and if so, which option did you choose?  Although my DB is backed up, I'd really prefer not to inadvertently wipe it out!  Thanks! 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

use the second option, install on existing database.

would need to configure a second database on the current express install and use that, i dont see an issue. im pretty sure it wont over write tho.

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager
0 Kudos
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From what I can tell, SQL Express 2005 is not supported for vcenter 5.1 / SSO.  It's amazing that I cannot find a single article or video explaining the "simple install" process for an environment currently using vcenter 4.1 and SQL Express 2005 on the same box.  I imagine this is the environment that the vast majority of vmware users are currently using!  Crazy...  Also, from what I've read, SSO in general is plagued with issues so my next question is, Do I even need to install SSO in order to upgrade to vsphere 5.1?

0 Kudos
Bigi201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SSO is a requirement.

I would recommend installing vCenter 5.1 simple install on new machine. SQL 2008 Express supports DB up to 10GB while 2005 is 4GB max.

The already configured DB question usually applies that you have a SQL Server somewhere else.

0 Kudos
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But I have a fully functional dedicated vCenter 4.1 server.  Why would would I want to install on a new server?  The fact that there's apparently no comprehensive in-place upgrade procedure is mind boggling!  

0 Kudos
BramVdp
Contributor
Contributor

We are having the same problem with our environment. The upgrade path is not very clear.

When you browse to http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php? and select 2005 Express and 2008 R2 Express in the Database Interoperability, 2005 is not supported on 5.1 and 2008R2 is not supported on 4.1. How do you perform an in-place upgrade?

Anyone in the same situation that already upgraded and can advise an upgrade path?

0 Kudos
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I spent more time looking around for info and reading numerous threads.  I even opened a support ticket with vmware who told me the best route is to ditch my current vcenter server and start from scratch.  Given all the issues I've read about with v5.1, the fact that there's no true in-place upgrade process and really no compelling reason to upgrade, I've decided to just hold off and stick with v4.1 for now.  I'll let others do the Beta testing.    :smileyplain:  

0 Kudos