VMware VMUG Community
Doug_Bone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need to find a sutable Laptop for VMWARE + classes

I believe I need a new computer for class, my 64 bit is having problems so I am taking suggestions. Please!

I want to use this on my next assignment also so it's not just for Workstation. VMWARE classes Red Hat plus server stuff.

I was thinking of something with min of

2 hard drives

16 Gigs of memory or more (heard VMWARE crases with anything over 😎

Quad CPU Intel

dual video cards

Maybe a gameing machine? Alienware? Dell XPS (high end)

Not a fan of HP

Any help I would share with other Vets who may take this also.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elgreco81
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The two laptops I talk about are Toshiba, my friend's laptop is a MacBook Pro.

The thing with this is that the faster and newer the better, but sometimes could just not be necessary and will cost you more money when maybe (probably) with a not such a powerful piece, you could achieve the performance you need.

I'm not a big fan of big disks drives, but if you need that amount of space...that always depends. I know that my next buy will be using ssd drives.

The graphic card, I don't think that you will take profit of it in a virtual enviroment.

I think that for this question, you could have as many answers as users in this community Smiley Happy LOL

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Greg_2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Im actually using a Dell E6520 and it works just fine for a small test environment. Ive been testing ESXi 5 and vSphere with no issues. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

elgreco81
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Two video cards? I wouldn't know if that's necessary.

I use my laptop as lab too. With one i5 and 8 GB of RAM I'm able to use at the same time (this was my last test enviroment)

- 1 W2K8 with AD, Exhange 2012, DNS and DHCP

- 2 Red Hat 6 with Zimbra servers on them

- 1 Ubuntu with a postfix distribution which served me as a relay

All of this running over my workstation 8 over my Fedora. It's true that the machines didn't have a high load but they worked just great.

Other times (in other laptop with less processor and only 4GB) using other kinds of labs, I had some performance issues with my hard drive. A friend of mine was also having this occasionally poor performance due to hard drive...but since he changed his hard drive to a SSD now is so fast ...wow...incredible!!!

Never heard anything of problems with more than 8GB configurations. Where did you hear/read that? I was also considerating having a new PC (this time and finally a Desktop one Smiley Happy ) and I was thinking of 16GB of RAM as I want to start testing more demanding solutions like 2 esxi hosts with one openfiller and vCloud and Networking and Security...yes...all at the same time LOL.

Anyway, I hope I helped you Smiley Happy

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
Doug_Bone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply, I am working the VA and plan on giving them what I need,

CPU? Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor?

Memory? 16BG? too much?

Video? Need to watch out for some, which is good/ thinking ATI?

Hard Drive, 2-X1 TB?

Like to give a range on the CPU mostly INTEL

with Hardware Virtualization VT-x

I was going to setup for my Linux class next (Red Hat and use it to for the job later)

0 Kudos
Doug_Bone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What brand laptop?

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The two laptops I talk about are Toshiba, my friend's laptop is a MacBook Pro.

The thing with this is that the faster and newer the better, but sometimes could just not be necessary and will cost you more money when maybe (probably) with a not such a powerful piece, you could achieve the performance you need.

I'm not a big fan of big disks drives, but if you need that amount of space...that always depends. I know that my next buy will be using ssd drives.

The graphic card, I don't think that you will take profit of it in a virtual enviroment.

I think that for this question, you could have as many answers as users in this community Smiley Happy LOL

Regards,

elgreco81

0 Kudos
Doug_Bone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much I was looking at

Qosmio X875-Q7291

big and beefy, I was thinking that the large HD I could put in many VM builds and clones for apps and such for later.

I am taking my VCP5 class in the next week and my 64bit laptop just crash due to the video card.  So I have that rush feeling.

I got told there is a problem with linux and NVIDIA® GeForce card, maybe that problem is just for the Gamers.

So I have to find a Laptop a small Busness could buy and sell to the VA, with all of the extras.

I wonder if I should have them pay for my VM9 too? hmmm?

Again Thank you guys so much for the reply great help!

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Smiley Happy Good luck with your VCP class!!!!

0 Kudos
Doug_Bone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

finished the class was good! Ended up buying a desktop because of the the 2600 Intel processor. Thank you everyone for your input!Smiley Happy

0 Kudos